8Gb works in my 2.66 March 09 Unibody Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xiaoyuwang, Mar 17, 2010.

1. xiaoyuwang macrumors member

Yaayy! Got a set from other world computing. It was a fantastic buying experience. Ordered on Monday and got it this morning, with free shipping.

Installed the 8G in my 2.66G March 09 MacPro, and everything is running great in Snow Leopard. While I have 4G before, I do notice the difference by running techtool pro, PS and Logic Pro. :)

4G is going into my GF's 2.4.

Cheers

2. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

3. xiaoyuwang thread starter macrumors member

Check out some posts in the forum regarding the 8gb memory in macbook pros. Apple has some artificial terms that limits some of the mbp to 6gb, if not the newest ones.

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

That's for the older MBP and even the first-gen uMBP, like the 2.4 and 2.53ghz uMBP don't support 8GB memory. However, all the other newer ones support it.

5. xiaoyuwang thread starter macrumors member

Yep. My initial idea of starting this page is to confirm that it works on 2.66G which worried me before I wanted to buy one. Google search didn't tell me squad on successful stories. OWC is much better in this sense.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can find specs on all Apple products with Mactracker. The MBP you have officially supports up to 8GB of RAM.

7. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Actually that limitation was/is only true for the late-08 models. The 2.66 version is a revision that came out in March and is the early-09 model which was actually being sold CTO with 8 GB ram.

8. xiaoyuwang thread starter macrumors member

Yep! You are right on point and this is why I posted this. :)