Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I've been monitoring my usage on my 4S with AT&T. Somewhere between 11:30 and 12:00 (a lot of time, right at 11:49pm) there always seems to be anywhere from a few megabytes to 75MB sent every night. Funny thing is I'm on WiFi when I'm home. AT&T usage only shows data that was sent over 3G. Right? Over 30 days, this could add up.

I went back and looked at my previous bills with the iPhone 4 and same thing.

So what is the phone doing?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
The records are updated once a day at night. Your phone is not acting up at that time. :)

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Sorry, what records are being updated?

The phone is not needed by ATT to determine your usage. If ATT needs to talk to your phone then those data charges should be free.

The phone is sending data it should not be sending (if not apps are running).

I suggest you look at the system location services and turn off most of them.

mattwallace24

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2010
Connecticut
Sorry, what records are being updated?

The phone is not needed by ATT to determine your usage. If ATT needs to talk to your phone then those data charges should be free.

The phone is sending data it should not be sending (if not apps are running).

I suggest you look at the system location services and turn off most of them.

AT&T has stated they update their billing records nightly. Your daily usage is aggregated and captured at this time.

This does not mean that AT&T is downloading the records from the iPhone. They already have that data. This does not mean apps are turning on during this time and using data. It simply reflects when AT&T updates their billing records and posts it to their website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.