9/11; Does anybody remember?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gusapple, Sep 11, 2007.

1. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

As I went through the halls and outdoors of school today, there was something lacking. I finally figured out that it was 9/11 near noon and wondered," What happened to America?"

Does anybody remember that day, when we all stood still and wondered what we stood for, what we are. But, as the day roared on, I finally noticed what was missing today, any recognition. No moment of silence, no American anthem, no mourning. We have been whining about the wars we are in. The major reason that we are in these wars is because of what happened 6 years ago today. What happened to being Patriotic?

After all, this day, this September 11th is called Patriots day, and yet, the news plays no stories about what is good of this country, it shows only the bad things. It doesn't matter which party you are from, most of us are all Americans, most of us can remember how we felt that day, how we didn't know what was happening. Yet cars stopped on the highways in numerous cities, people stopped work, if only for a second, to gaze at CNN or FOX or whatever channel they were watching. That was not a movie, that was reality, that was when Americans had to realize that they don't live in Strawberry Shortcake Land, they live in a real world. But, that made us stronger than ever.

Now, we have fallen out of being patriotic. We only glance at the flag when it is half-massed or really big. We never seem to stare at it and admire to think of all that we, as Americans enjoy many freedoms. This isn't a report, but I would like for you to think about today, and what happened to you in the last six years. What happened to the patriotism that used to be fundamental to us just six years ago?

Post your replies.

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Aw, lots of us out here haven't forgotten. But, right now, the professional appeasers seem to get the media play. I hate to say it, but it will probably take another episode or two, here in the US, before the neo-Chamberlains figure out that this game is for keeps. Then again, they probably won't learn; lots of folks went all the way through the foty years of the Cold War, making excuses for the USSR...

'Rat

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Bush, Partiot act, "Mission Acomplished™", War fatigue, conspiracy theorists, lack of happy news to counter 9/11 stories... to name a few. Heck, even Guliani is feeling the wrath of his 9/11 association.

Just a little FYI, right now the country is using privatizing the army and over taxing the people while the infrastructure (e.g. bridges) fall apart. Another instance in history where this happened was ~100 years before the fall of Rome.

Maybe it should be more like why would we want to remember something as depressing as 9/11?

4. gusapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

gusapple

Total number killed in attacks (official figure as of 9/5/02): 2,819
    Number of firefighters and paramedics killed: 343
    Number of NYPD officers: 23
    Number of Port Authority police officers: 37
    Number of WTC companies that lost people: 60
    Number of employees who died in Tower One: 1,402
    Number of employees who died in Tower Two: 614
    Number of employees lost at Cantor Fitzgerald: 658
    Number of U.S. troops killed in Operation Enduring Freedom: 22
    Number of nations whose citizens were killed in attacks: 115
    Ratio of men to women who died: 3:1
    Age of the greatest number who died: between 35 and 39
    Bodies found "intact": 289
    Body parts found: 19,858
    Number of families who got no remains: 1,717
    Estimated units of blood donated to the New York Blood Center: 36,000
    Total units of donated blood actually used: 258
    Number of people who lost a spouse or partner in the attacks: 1,609
    Estimated number of children who lost a parent: 3,051
    Percentage of Americans who knew someone hurt or killed in the attacks: 20
    FDNY retirements, January–July 2001: 274
    FDNY retirements, January–July 2002: 661
    Number of firefighters on leave for respiratory problems by January 2002: 300
    Number of funerals attended by Rudy Giuliani in 2001: 200
    Number of FDNY vehicles destroyed: 98
    Tons of debris removed from site: 1,506,124
    Days fires continued to burn after the attack: 99
    Jobs lost in New York owing to the attacks: 146,100
    Days the New York Stock Exchange was closed: 6
    Point drop in the Dow Jones industrial average when the NYSE reopened: 684.81
    Days after 9/11 that the U.S. began bombing Afghanistan: 26
    Total number of hate crimes reported to the Council on American-Islamic Relations nationwide since 9/11: 1,714
    Economic loss to New York in month following the attacks: $105 billion

Maybe we DON'T want to remember it, but it sure sounds like it's gonna stay as a stick in our side.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Today is the anniversary of a tragic event. It is not about 'Patriots Day'. It is not a 'photo op' to show all of the good thing about America. It has nothing to do with patriotism. Your 'patriotic weal' sounds like a compassioned attempt to draw support for the WH, and its failed agendas.

Today we mark a day when we should share solace with the bereaved. It is not a point when we should try to re-use our grief to justify the WH lies to invade Iraq.

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

What the h**l are you talking about?

7. gusapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

gusapple

OK, I can support that, the only thing that makes me irritated is how people say that it should not be remembered, because it sounds like that. Why? I think we should at least support those who lost somebody, not the White House. But I am just a teen ranting about what my opinion is, but personally, I think it doesn't matter who you are, you at least have to go to the site and see for your self, it is not just overplayed b anybody, nobody could overplay what happened. They could change the story and overplay it, but not the circumstances.

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

There is no way in hell that anyone could not be devastated for each individual tragedy associated with this horrific event. However, we cannot allow our perceptions of the Iraq invasion to be associated with 9/11. They have no association.

The invasion was based on lies. The UN vote was based on lies by Colin Powell. If you really want to know who is lying here, just do a little reading.

BTW: I am a Vietnam combat veteran.

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

9/11: Don't care. At all.

Maybe if the Republicans hadn't used the day for their blatant propaganda I'd actually care a little, but if anything I hate this day now. Everyone is expected to be super patriotic (which is a dumb idea itself, on any day), and I really just don't care.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Thousands of people die every day for no reason. I really don't know what makes 9/11 any different than any other day. If these 3,000 people would have all died in separate incidents on that day, maybe car accidents, or gunned down on the street, a terminal illness, whatever, would anyone care? No, not really. Families and friends would, but as a country, it would've been just another day.

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yes, it's good we listened to guys like LeMay who wanted to start strategic bombing during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Oh wait....

...Maybe you're creating a false dichotomy between appeasement and total war.

More on the subject, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do on the 6th anniversary of 9/11. Go into paroxysm of morning? Fly a flag or make sure that magnetic bumber sticker is firmly affixed? Personally, I'd rather take a quiet private moment, and then try not to spin myself into a fury at the people who used this event to further their political careers.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This is why.

Because we went from 1 nation, 1 world, to "our way or the highway". Patriotism has been taken over by the far right, corrupted and perverted to mean something else entirely. Making the rest of us out to be unpatriotic if we question it. Meanwhile, more and more of us are questioning it. We see the Iraq war drag on, knowing now there were no links to those who attacked us, let alone were they a threat to us via WMDs. We see that we're losing the 'stans as well, where the real terrorists are, while Bin Laden is still out there, to spend all of our resources and get more people killed in a place that had nothing to do with anything. As we see from the VA and the lack of equipment like body armor, we aren't even taking care of our own people. With stop loss and multiple redeployments just making things worse. And while we tell them to die for some kind of "freedom", we gladly give up our own freedoms for the perception of security. Not that any of the security recommendations have been taken care of, nor are we being taken care of since we don't feel like fixing our crumbling infrastructure or helping our own citizens after natural disasters because our gov would rather blame everyone else and hire cronies to important positions. Meanwhile, our deficit has skyrocketed, not that we're actually getting anything for our great grand children's money, as our money becomes more and more worthless. Because the party of family values, while not committing their own sins, care more about what goes on in your bedroom or hospital bed (as long as they don't have to pay for it) than the real problems in our society because they have theirs, their buddies are getting paid, and they can use fear to further gain power. The opposition, if you could even call it that, doing nothing to stop it.

So no, we haven't forgotten. We remember. We don't want to anymore, because the gov we stood behind has failed us and it's still painful to deal with, but it's still there. It's just not the same as it was. That isn't because of us though, it's because of those who have perverted it for political gain, those who still use it to criticize the rest of us, calling us unpatriotic when they are the ones who are making things worse. They are the ones who support those who are making things worse. They're the one who took their eyes off the prize. They can paint us as the traitors all they want, as the appeasers, all they're doing is pushing us further and further away.

I remember 9/11 'rat. You guys don't own it, the rest of us felt it too. It's just that some of us realize what we've done since hasn't made things any better. Worse actually. Bin Laden's still out there, we're losing Afghanistan, Iraq had nothing to do with it, but we're losing that too, and all we're doing is creating more terrorists, more enemies, pissing of more allies, and disgusting our own citizens. Some of us get that. Some us get it just fine, and we're wondering why the hell some of you still don't.

Good night folks, and good luck.

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

14. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

How much time does the average person need to spend thinking about tragedies? It's not conducive to a good life. Really, if we spent the anniversary of every tragedy mourning it would fill the entire calendar. If you are going to accuse people of not caring about their country, or worse, not being true to their values because they don't want to live their lives in misery then I'd say that qualifies you as a psychopath.

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

9/11 will be remembered annually just as Pearl Harbor day is.

I hope that they get the reconstruction of ground zero going full bore soon.

16. aquajet macrumors 68020

Let's not forget this little fact: the connection made between Iraq and 9/11 was a lie. So let yourself be reminded -- we are not at war in Iraq today because of what happened six years ago.

I don't think hardly anybody is actually saying that. Everybody grieves and reflects in their own way and just because people around you aren't walking around in total silence, with their heads down and dressed in black doesn't mean there is a problem. Remember what was said after 9/11 -- the best way to deal with terrorism is to go about our lives. And that's what I do, along with a bit of quiet, personal reflection on the anniversary.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well said. Not remember? Who could ask such a ridiculous question.

But should we be turning 9/11 into a morose national holiday? Please, please, no.

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

That doesn't lessen the effect that 9/11 had on this country or the need for people to observe the anniversary.

Don't know who told you there was a connection between 9/11 and Iraq or that was the reason we invaded Iraq though.

19. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I agree. 9/11 was the day america got a black eye and then got carried away with the "we're victims! please cry for us!" syndrome. I don't want the world to cry for us. I don't want americans to wallow in their reality of victimization. I want americans to wise-up and avoid future Al Qaida sucker-punches.

20. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

to sum up: we're no longer patriotic because we're no longer proud. It's hard to be patriotic when your country stands for torture, death and neglect. (abu Ghraib, tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians and Katrina, respectively)

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I didn't realize that you were in the fear business Rat!

The USSR was proving to be a failure about the time Nixon "resigned". Twenty odd years isn't a very long run. The Brits in the early 1800s posed a bigger threat to the US for a longer period of time.

The threat posed by radical Islam will also dissipate. We have the power but Americans are too attuned to violent solutions to look for peaceful ones. All we have to do is slash our oil consumption. $20 a barrel oil will stop them in their tracks faster than any nuke ever will.

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Sure and the ChiComs and Indians will stop buying oil from them too. Right.

The only think that's going to cut off their income is to drain their supplies as quickly as possible.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Excuse me? A lot us "appeasers" as you say, would be more than happy fighting terror if that were actually what we were doing. Instead, we're too busy making a former secular country into a radical muslim one. I don't think anyone believes that terrorism will just "go away", but a hell of a lot of us don't see the appropriate actions being taken. If we were taking the fight to the right people, you'd have a lot more of us behind this administration.

It's people who blindly follow Bush and Cheney that scare me the most. That should scare you too, 'rat. They're f***ing up, and you know it.

And don't even for one second try this crap with me. I spent the better part of that week trying to find out if my friends in Manhattan were alive. No one could get through for so long because of phone lines being jammed. Bush's actions are an embarrassment and an insult to everyone who was there that day, especially to the ones lost their lives.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's one way to look at it. Another is to consider that Al Qaida designed the 9/11 attacks to sucker the US into taking stupid and counterproductive actions in the Middle East. If that was the purpose, then it worked like a charm.

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Actually there's no doubt that the most radical of muslims dreamed for centuries about drawing in the "crusaders" and the Jooz into a cateclismic battle for religious supremacy. Doesn't mean that we should avoid fighting them at all costs though.