9/11 Memorial US Flags at SMU to be removed because "triggering and harmful"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Aug 2, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I think I'm starting to become triggered to the word triggered. A lot of the kids at that university would have been pretty young (toddler age?) when 9/11 occurred. Meh, as long as the memorial focuses on the victims I'm ok with it.

3. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

Apparently SMU changed their reason because people were being triggered over their last one.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

AHHH there it is again!!!! :D

5. jerwin macrumors 68020

Well, I'm not convinced that's the best use of the space. An open green space, centrally located, is quite often an important contributor to the quality of university life.

I mean, there have been instances where governments have decided that they as a society, don't deserve to have public space, and sacrifices are appropriate. But SMU? What has SMU done? One does not cut off one's nose to spite ones face.

6. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Well, the trigger that was triggered was triggered by the trigger. And I am seriously triggered by it, which according to your statement is going to trigger you.

7. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

[​IMG]

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I like the idea of the memorial, the only thing that I thought was a little "unusual" was the photo of a sign on the lawn reading 9/11 Never Forget Project depicting the plane flying into the towers. Not an image many people necessary want to have artfully depicted from that morning.

Attached Files:

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

[​IMG]

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

11. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Looks like they removed the phrase "triggering or harmful messages" form the policy, because people got.... triggered.o_O
    This country is doomed if this crap doesn't stop.
    Last time I checked, the 1A doesn't mean all expressions of speech must not offend anyone... in fact it means the opposite.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Annual 9/11 flag ceremony? Can't they just watch the dozens of documentaries that flood television reminding us of what we watched that fateful day?

13. darksithpro macrumors 6502

Curious, does Great Britain still do any type of ceremonies for the anniversary of the Battle of Britain?

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I know what to say about it. Why don't the YAF kids and the other politically oriented students stuff their politics and get an education and then pick up their red or blue cards on the way into their first race for Congress (or, dogcatcher). If I were a parent and my kid spent 24/7 politicking instead of studying I'd box his ears and be up in those ivory towers harassing the deans and adminstrators.

As for the 11th September: it was a horrible tragedy. Unimaginable. But it happened. And it could happen again. After all we figured Vietnam was the last Vietnam and somehow we ended up in Iraq. For my money it would be ok to put 58313 flags on some lawn annually to remember how "light at the end of the tunnel" turned out. But then I guess wars have expiration dates in the memory of a nation's population, which is a river, not a reflecting pool.

I personally think special notice of the anniversary of September 11th attacks are appropriate at the sites of the attacks. I have my own memories of that day, as do any others who were direct or secondhand witnesses. That would seem enough for most of us, since the memories are searing and come unbidden to us on days having nothing to do with the anniversary.

For those who only vaguely remember 9/11, or who were too young, what does it mean to see three thousand flags on a lawn on that anniversary? That's what I really want to know.

"Never again?" Is that what it means? We can't even make that assertion.

It's meant as a political shorthand, coming from the YAF. I resent that, which is my problem, not SMU's, I realize that. But my own college does something like that as well, and there I felt free to expand on what I just wrote here.

I grow weary of all celebrations of death and violence whether meant as tribute to our own fallen or as threat to our enemies, perceived or real, domestic or foreign; and whether represented as flags on a lawn, or as cruise missiles or drones launched in efforts at retaliation, at taking an eye for an eye. War is one thing, war remembered another. Whatever form the latter takes, it should not have some sort of partisan "ownership".

So aout YAF sponsoring that annual flags planting, I feel the same way I feel about Republicans wearing flag pins in their lapel: no one political party mourns alone for those killed on September 11, and no one political party owns the American flag.

To the YAF I'd offer this: if you want to do it, do it. Don't think that makes your party the owner of how to mourn on 9/11, nor how, where or when to perpetuate a response to it in the larger world. Those decisions belong to all of us.

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Not to my knowledge no. Maybe on the 70th, 80th anniversary in London but not localised ceremonies that I know of. Perhaps you could suggest it?

16. darksithpro macrumors 6502

I don't live there. However off topic I find it rather strange though, that the Royal Mail Steamer Queen Mary, who helped win the war against the fascist Nazis remains in Long Beach, California, instead of Great Britain, where Cunard White Star was.

17. Zenithal, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017

Zenithal macrumors 603

The only reason I can come up with is that some might have been small kids then and so their memory of the event is harsher than reality even though reality itself was harsh.

Doesn't Dover do something every year or did? There's some West London based groups that do something on the anniversary of The Somme, if I recall correctly.

Though I fail to see the connection between 9/11 and The Battle of Britain. Maybe DSP can fill us in why he believed that was an appropriate question.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 3, 2017 ---
    Because it was not and was never a military owned ship. The Queen Mary was an ocean liner, a luxury one. During wartime, a lot of civilian transport ships were temporarily requisitioned, luxury stuff removed and became troop and supplies carriers. It was a common occurrence. The city of Long Beach bought her from Cunard. Therefore it's property of the city, not Cunard. The UK government never had a hand in her ownership apart from the vessel being registered to the United Kingdom.

In the same light a Soviet submarine was damaged, bought by businessmen from Australia and set up as a floating museum in Long Beach next to the Queen Mary for several years until it was closed to the public earlier last year due to damage. We got to see it when it was open to the public. Very cool!

Another example would be Nazi warplanes and jets being in British and American museums, and not in German museums, though they have them, too.

Anyway, luxury ocean liners aren't a thing anymore. Cruises are different matters. Once air travel became more affordable and faster. A week or more depending on speed of the vessel versus a ten hour flight. Which one would you choose? Especially if the latter cost a fraction of the former?

By the very late 20s and very early 30s, the future major allies and the Germans had begun work on turbojet engines. Rocket tech was being explored long before that. As awful as WWII was, it was good for science, but of course, at the expense of human life.

18. darksithpro macrumors 6502

The RMS Queen Mary should be in Clydebank, Scotland, where it was made! It's a national treasure.

19. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I just pulled the Trigger….. is this pic offensive?

[​IMG]

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

This thread reminds me of the Knights who say "Ni" and their inability to hand the word "it"

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

The answer to that is money. We have many reminders of that war. Museums, damaged buildings you name it. A ship of that size and upkeep is just not in the public interest unless a private investor takes control IMO.
    Possibly. I'm sure there are ceremonies for it. We have a national Remembrance Day every year on November 11th for all war dead.