90-year-old Florida man charged for feeding homeless people

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 5, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/04/justice/florida-feeding-homeless-charges/index.html

so let them suffer with hunger instead?

2. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

3. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

That's a real shame. I've given food to the homeless many times through the years. All of our catered wedding food leftovers went to the homeless actually, and there was quite a bit.

I'd like to hear a good reason for curtailing probably the easiest and most common type of charity.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

WTF??? New ordinance banning public food sharing? I can't fathom that someone could be behind this idiotic law or even enforce it.

Here in NYC where there are plenty homeless, we are encouraged to give food to the homeless instead of money.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Seiler

----------

if you feed them, they will come

seems to be how Jack Seiler thinks.

6. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Absolutely absurd....who the hell is this guy?

----------

Agreed 100%. I went to school in Waco at Baylor. Being a somewhat high-class, private school in the middle of a somewhat run down city, lots of homeless people would hang out at the gas stations and fast food joints right near campus knowing these rich, Christian college kids would have money and would share.

We were never discouraged from giving them food or even money (though those of us who are smart know the former is better than the latter). In fact, there are a number of outreach programs and even a church service that meets under the bridge right next to campus that provides food afterwards.

I can't fathom how this man thought this law would be a good idea. Goes against every fiber of my being.

You want to get them off the street, do something about your local economy. Don't starve them to death by punishing good people doing a good deed....

7. Symtex macrumors 6502a

Its Florida. The state that brought you stand your ground...What else did you expect.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

sure seems like it, pretty sad , instead of trying to HELP those in need, he takes away food that is freely given to the homeless?

10. VI™ macrumors 6502a

It’s just like that and it’s exactly like a pest problem. If rats know they’ll have a free meal, they’ll congregate in an area where food is handed out or to be found. It’s terrible to compare human beings to vermin, but it’s an apt comparison. If you travel to most any big city to the areas where there are lots of tourist you’ll see a lot of homeless people begging for handouts, most of which are asking for money.

The law maker figures that if people aren’t allowed to legally give out food to the homeless, then they will just go away to somewhere else where they can get it from and bother that city or town. Which, there is a possibility that he’s right in his assumption, but we’re talking about human beings and not rats which makes this law immoral to most people. It’s all about law makers trying to get rid of what they see is the problem with a quick fix rather than trying to tackle the underlying issues which could range from mental health to joblessness to just crazy high cost of living. If he spent more time focusing on fixing those issues that cause people to be homeless, maybe he could do some good and not worry about just sweeping them under the rug or making them someone else’s issue.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So does this law also forbid feeding stray animals or giving out free samples at Costco.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

No. I think the law was made to help sweep the societal problems under the rug. So Costco is ok.

13. samiwas macrumors 68000

If giving food to the homeless brings this kind of charge, maybe we should draft up a law covering giving your vote to a person like this.

Sadly, we should have a few supporters show up here in the next couple of posts.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yeah, sadly that's an all too typical political response for the homeless: Don't implement programs to help bring them out of their poverty; just make your city inhospitable to them so that they go somewhere else (or die).

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This is a state that just re-elected the man responsible for the biggest Medicare fraud the country has ever seen.

So...I'm not really surprised.

16. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

The law is in place because anyone can just hand out food. No one would have inspected or checked the food handling or facilities of the person handing it out. I know it may suck, but the law wasn't designed to keep the homeless hungry. It was done to protect people from getting food tainted with salmonella or worse.

Florida is not the only place that has these laws many places do. Why did the officer feel it really necessary to actually intervene rather than just warn him? Good question. Maybe that is the story.

Back during the Jim Florio term in New Jersey, almost every firearm was banned. This basically did away with hunting. As a result deer vs vehicle strikes were becoming all too common and even resulting in fatalities. Soldiers from Ft Dix and Ft Monmouth were brought in to go hunting. The purpose to thin out the deer herds. Civilian bow hunters were enlisted in this project.

The plan? Hunt and give the meat to the needy. The problem? The federal government shut it down because venison isn't inspected and they didn't have an FDA office that could inspect venison. Plan to Give Venison To the Poor Hits a Snag

In Nevada, two little girls got their lemonade stand shut down. No permit from the health department.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ah, I was wondering when our resident authoritarian justifyer was going to show up. Right on time.

Pray tell, how many people were being poisoned by food they accepted on the streets in Florida :rolleyes:

I'm always amazed at the pathetic shred of justification that laws like these are based around, and the fact that there are people that actually gullible enough to embrace that shred.

This is just the continuation of the longstanding tradition in this country to tell the needy to go **** themselves.

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

please, you sound like Bloomberg there, GOD forbid someone feeds the homeless something that is not good & nutritious :rolleyes:

19. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

Probably none but what happens the very first time a group do get sick because of something that an unlicensed, not inspected kitchen serves them? I work with a ministry that passes out sandwiches and bags of chips on the streets of Atlanta one Saturday a month. The pastor who heads it up, has a health department inspection on the wall of the kitchen where all the food is prepared.

These laws weren't designed to stop people from feeding the homeless. However, in their vagueness of writing the statute they fell under it. The laws were designed to keep people from operating small hot dog stands or a food concession truck without a license. There are times that exemptions need to be in the laws.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Those would involve selling food rather than giving it away. I'd have thought legislators were up to legislating that.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So yet again lets do demonstrable harm to living breathing people in the name of protecting them from a nonexistent problem.

Your logic is consistent, I'll give you that.

22. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I hated living in Florida. People get into trouble for helping the homeless. I saw so many homeless people out there... That state was in trouble.

Guess 4 years later, it still is.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

I didn't write the law. I didn't vote on the law. I was merely pointing out that this law isn't unique to Florida and they had a reason for writing it. Many states have these type of laws. Not just red states, not just southern states.

24. Symtex macrumors 6502a

You are correct, they was a reason for it and it wasn't to protect the population from food poisoning. Its because they hate the homeless and instead of offering them concrete solution to their problem, they just want them to disappear.

25. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

The same laws apply to food given away as to food sold. The government wants to be able to inspect those kitchens. One cold winter Saturday, we were giving away hot soup in downtown Atlanta. Not one person complained. The health inspector made us close up because we couldn't keep the soup over the required 140º F. We were around 125º - 130º and that was as hot as we could maintain.

Soup kitchens have inspections posted.