900 kids detained and searched at school

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sim667, Apr 26, 2017.

1. sim667 macrumors 65816

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

4. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I don't know anything about GA law but I think searching the school lockers is perfectly acceptable but a personal searches depends. I find it difficult to believe 900 student's bodies were searched or patted down. Wholesale locker searches were typically done after hours. Whether the student is present or not any contraband found inside a locker must be legally tied back to the individual for possession prosecution. Obviously that depends on the circumstances.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sure, search lockers whenever, it's school property. However, that's not what this is about at all.

6. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Ok. I'll reread.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

seriously doubt 900 students got patted down.
    still seems like an extreme waste of time & resources.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I have no problem with it. If my kid was patted down I would have asked him if there was any particular reason why the selected him. We were all kids and I know the **** I pulled. I'm sure there will be parents who over-react because it might get them in the news for 5 min or because the principle made a snide remark about the crap cookies Mrs. Smith baked at the annual bake sale so it's payback.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Welcome to police-state TrumpAmerica. You got what you asked for.

If you don't like it: Join the resistance. Get right with God. Vote Democratic the next time you go to the polls. Recognize that organizations like the ACLU are on your side.

Throw out neofascists like Sheriff Jeff Hobby (what a joke of a name..) Learn what words like "probable cause" and "reasonable suspicion" mean.

Today they came for the high-school kids. (Last week they came for the Muslims and the people with Hispanic names and faces.) Turn your back, and cheer on the Nazis today. And don't ask for any sympathy when they kick down your door next month.

You've been warned.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

are you ok?

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I read it again and don't understand your post to me. What am I missing?

As I understand the school was searched (which I assume primarily means the lockers) and students were patted down.

I still have a hard time believing 900 individual students were patted down. I'd like to see more info on that.

So what am I missing? You got me stumped.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You're missing the part where kids were patted down in a school with absolutely no reason for it, and apparently the sheriff just took it on himself to go there and do it without an invitation (that's how I read it anyway). The number is irrelevant.

I don't understand how this society can instill that submitting to authority blindly is perfectly fine for high schoolers, then turn around and mock these same kids for taking out crushing loans to finance college....because every authority figure they've ever met in their life has been telling them that college is a requirement for employment (and let's be real, it is for gainful employment if you're not in a trade).

13. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If they really patted down 900 kids without probable cause then I hope the parents win a very big lawsuit and this sheriff gets dumped in the next election. If they want to waste the time and money to search the lockers that's fine as long as they had either school permission or a warrant, but they shouldn't be going after kids without a reason.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm more than OK. I'm just getting started:

Let me know if that sounds familiar to you.

16. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

More info on this:

http://wfxl.com/news/local/lawsuit-being-prepped-over-worth-county-high-school-search

"Parents of Worth County High School students are filing a lawsuit against the Worth County Sherrif's Office after an improper search occurred earlier in April."

"Parents want to see justice served after it was confirmed by local law enforcement and attorneys that students rights were violated."

Article is tiny, though. This seems to be hardly known outside of the local news.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Restores faith in the future generations. Now I've lost faith in MY generation. Don't trust anyone over 30 hold true today as it did back when I was under 30.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Who carries a roach in their pocket, in a school? I did some stupid things in high school, but I was always smart enough to toss the remnants away before going inside or hiding it where I could grab it later. Those things reek.

20. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I didn't miss it at all. I clearly mentioned they were patted down and even mentioned questioning the accuracy of the number of individuals that were searched.

Si the article was about both searches and my post you originally quoted mentioned both. Perhaps you should read my post again. If you want clarification pls ask me.

Here I'll give you cliff notes.

I admitted being unfamiliar with GA law.

I continued based on my personal experience.

Locker searches are legal and not uncommon.

Those searches were typically done after hours.

I question the number of individuals being pat searched.

(Btw in California searching students on school campus merely requires reasonable suspicion which is far less than the standard necessary off campus.)

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

If there is ONE thing Trump (or Obama) can't be blamed for, it's this. This is a totally local issue, and the decision was made on a local level by a local sheriff.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2017 ---
    If a cop pats you down without probable cause, you go after him. I am a strong LE supporter, but they are not above the law. Ever.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't blame Trump (or Obama) directly for this sort of outrage. But I have started seeing a lot of these signs in my neighborhood:

[​IMG]

What am I to make of this?

I "support" the police. In the sense that I respect their authority. I will obey their lawful instructions. Where possible I will assist them in their investigations. And, yes, I willingly pay my taxes that pay their salaries and benefits, and provides them with the equipment to do their job.

But my "support" is not unconditional. My support doesn't mean police officers should never be held to account, be asked questions, or be made to pay an appropriate penalty when they do wrong. Law enforcement is a difficult and honorable profession. But it cannot be one where there are no consequences for wrongdoing.

And I'm very sorry to say this: But too many citizens in our country do not hold law enforcement accountable. They put out little signs like this, and they put bumper stickers and window decals on their cars. What are we to make of this? Do they think it's going to get them out of a speeding ticket? I pray to God it doesn't.

America's citizens enabled an atmosphere where rogue law enforcement officers believe they have an unquestioned right to illegally search almost a thousand innocent children.

Welcome to police-state TrumpAmerica.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Really? Sure seems like you do.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

LMAO. your first post in this thread
    are you so afraid of your neighbors that you can't go and ask them?

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be the first person in this country, state, county, city to be shot and killed by one of his neighbors for simply knocking on their front door.