911: How can I tell if a Macbook is REALLY brand "new"? What is apple packaging like?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JCUSN, Feb 11, 2009.

1. JCUSN macrumors newbie

I'm getting ready to go buy a Macbook Pro from someone on craigslist for $1500. It's the new unibody, 15'', w/ 2.4 processor and 250 Gb HD.

The guy told me its BRAND NEW, and its still sealed in the box. I'm going to go pick it up in two hours at his house. Is there a way I can tell by the box if he's lying about how new it is?

He said I can open the box and look at it if I want also.

I just want to make sure I'm actually getting a real macbook pro that is NOT a refurbished unit and that the guy is being legit.

$1500 is a steal isnt it?

Thanks for your help everyone!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

For that price, who cares if its refurb'd or not?
    It's still covered under the basic 1 year warranty.

Of course,

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

5. JCUSN thread starter macrumors newbie

i know i know..."if it's too good to be true..."

but if the guy is willing to show it to me, let me open the box, give me the serial number, and even show me that its still sealed....

doesnt that mean something??

he said if I ran the serial number on Apple's website I would see that it was purchased 4-6 days ago...

honestly, i wouldnt be surprised if this thing was stolen...but who knows?

personally, i dont care...i just dont want to get ripped off

?

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

New packaging looks like the boxes you'll see people doing "New Macbook Unboxings" on youtube with.

If its been refurbished it will be in a plain White or Brown box. ALL Apple refurbished items come like this.

Dont take the money to the guy on you. Give it to a friend/relative, and call them to come with it when your satisfied its real.

7. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

if its refurb then it comes in a plain cardboard box and if its brand new then there should be a sticker over the box seal and the plastic covering the MBP
    Just make sure to meet him in a public place and take the seller to the bank to take out money instead of bringing the cash with you. Also bring a friend

8. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

every time I try to post something someone allways post the same thing while I am typing it.

9. JCUSN thread starter macrumors newbie

he just gave me the serial...

here it is...

W8846JAY1G0

10. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Try running the number on the Apple site.

I tried doing it for you, but I don't know what country you're in. I tried Canada, USA, Austrailia and the UK...all of them turned up "invalid".

11. JCUSN thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm from the USA.

Man...wtf. It's showing up invalid for me too:/

If it was stolen would it show up?

Do you have to register the product first before it would show up?

12. JCUSN thread starter macrumors newbie

wait a second...it works!

the last digit in the serial number is "ZERO" not an "O"

use a zero!

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If it was only 4-6 days ago, why sell at a $500 loss; why not just return it?

Serial # is valid

2. Warranty information about your product
    Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple's Limited Warranty which is estimated to expire on December 14, 2009.

More like 4-6 weeks ago.

Doesn't mean that's the serial # of the unit. The only way to verify it is to start up and view it under About this Mac.

14. JCUSN thread starter macrumors newbie

1. Enter your serial number and country
    Serial number and country entered.

2. Warranty information about your product
    Our records indicate that your product is covered under Apple's Limited Warranty which is estimated to expire on December 14, 2009.

Your product is not eligible for complimentary phone support.

If you believe that this information is inaccurate, learn how to update your coverage status. Please put your sales receipt in a safe place. You will need it for warranty validation.

Extend your service and support coverage for your product with the AppleCare Protection Plan. If you have already purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan, make sure you have registered it.

Enter another serial number

This is what it says...

do u guys think im good to go on this purchase??

Thanks!

15. JCUSN thread starter macrumors newbie

i'll run the "About This Mac'' on the machine before I buy. Good call!

Thanks!

16. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

why dont you just call Apple and see if they will tell you if someone has reported that macbook pro stolen or not based on the serial.
    Also like others have said, when you see the computer to go to the system profiler and check to make sure that the serial number he gave you and the one on the machine is the same. If you want to go to extreme measures, check the actual machine for the serial number.

17. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I'd be very suspicious...he told you 4-6 days when it's 4-6 weeks (unless you misunderstood him) and if it's SEALED and BRAND NEW like he says, what's he been doing with it for 4-6 weeks and why is he discounting so much off of it?

18. JCUSN thread starter macrumors newbie

ill check the "About this Mac" and also the machine itself.

There is no way to hack the serial and change it in the "About This Mac" is there?

Also, where is the serial located on the machine?? Will i need tools or anything to find it?

Thanks!

Josh

19. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

How to find your serial number.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Check the serial number from the About this Mac menu command. Click where the arrow is 3 times.

Attached Files:

21. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Just bring a gun with you, that'll keep you safe :D I was buying a phone from an older guy near my house, but I took my army knife with me, always good to be safe :D

22. Psychmike macrumors regular

Look, this just doesn't make any sense.

What has he been doing with this laptop for the past 4-6 weeks? Why would he let YOU open it up and double check everything? Wouldn't this mean it wouldn't be new any more if you don't buy it? If it's too good to be true, it probably is. You can continue to talk yourself into it, or you can walk away.

As others have said, if you do decide to go through it, meet him in a public spot and bring a friend. You can be sure he will.

Is the risk of getting screwed, held up, or buying something stolen really worth it? Why not just go through the refurb store, pay a little more, but have the peace of mind?

Mike

23. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

lol yeah, you know what pulling up in a tank outside his house with aerial support from some F22's would also ensure your safety.

24. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

A totally unrelated question:

Are you american? :p:D