1. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

2. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Thanks for today's cup of pathetic, flag-wielding patriotism. :rolleyes:

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thank you for todays cup of pathetic, unfounded criticism of those remembering a national tragedy.

Seriously if you don't like it, don't comment.

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

All these 9/11 threads make me lose faith in the Internet.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

People expressing opinions you don't agree with???

6. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

...and i thought the thread was about the emergency number...

7. soco, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

soco macrumors 68030

soco

Right back at you, sweetpea. If you don't like his opinion, comment on his opinion. But don't you dare tell him to keep his trap shut.

Equally, I'm sick of the "fake" patriotism that stemmed from 9/11. Too many people bleeding red, white & blue who couldn't and didn't care worth a penny on and before 9/10. Such bs.

I like this country just fine. But I'm far from in love with it. I'm not going to run around acting like it's better than it is. We did a LOT of terrible things as a country over the years, and we were attacked by some crazy people with crazy ideas. Very sad indeed. But I'm of the opinion that it doesn't necessarily warrant everyone's reaction.

I feel like it's the equivilent of when there are a hundred accidents a year on a busy road and a decent amount of people are killed per year, and one year a sweet little girl gets run over. All of a sudden the road MUST be changed and a new law MUST be passed. Memorials aplenty and legislation will move faster than Usain Bolt. It's such horsecrap. Did the people killed in the years before not count? Were their deaths unimportant?

We only freak out and get all up in arms about things when it's heartwrenching. Go take your fake patriotism and cry about the thousands of troops that have died "liberating" Iraq. Hurry up with their giant memorial and plan their yearly over-hyped and over-sensationalized TV speicals.

I guess not though. Because instead of dying a few at a time as they have, you'd rather they all die at once. There's shock factor there. Then we'd all go, "Oh my GOD IN HEAVEN! All those troops!!! OH THE HUMANITY!!!!"

Meh.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Yawn. It's 9/12 now. Let's not mention this topic for another year shall we?

9. soco, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

soco macrumors 68030

soco

Exactly my point. It's no longer cool or patriotically necessary to discuss it or give it a thought. Move along everyone. Time for Monday night football and fondue with little cut up bananas.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Wow do you listen to yourself at all? I'm glad I do not know you in real life.

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

Why? Mr. Pink makes some good points. As tragic as 9/11 was (and still is for many) it doesn't hurt to try and see that even in perspective.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I agree with some of his statements like this:

"Equally, I'm sick of the "fake" patriotism that stemmed from 9/11. Too many people bleeding red, white & blue who couldn't and didn't care worth a penny on and before 9/10. Such bs.

I like this country just fine. But I'm far from in love with it. I'm not going to run around acting like it's better than it is. We did a LOT of terrible things as a country over the years, and we were attacked by some crazy people with crazy ideas. Very sad indeed. But I'm of the opinion that it doesn't necessarily warrant everyone's reaction."

But I'm not of the mindset to criticize someone like the OP or defend people who criticize the OP for simply remembering a national tragedy. If someone were to post about remembering the Christchurch earthquake or the Japan tsunami and for some reason I didn't agree with it the last thing I would do is criticize the poster or defend anyone who did criticize them.

I understand there is free speech and all but there is also something called "tact" which many posters here lack.

13. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I'm thinking the OP posted that picture with the thread title 911 as in "Someone call 911 I looked at this picture and I can't get it out of my head". :eek:

14. soco macrumors 68030

soco

chrono, I completely understand where you're coming from and for the most part, I agree. The only difference in our opinions here is that people like the OP (in my opinion) do what they do to garner attention. It's a, "Hey guys! Look at how patriotic I am!" move and I find it disgusting and ingenuous.

Even if the OP had posted the same thing, but in remembrance or recognition of the Christchurch earthquake, I'd call bs again. Everyone on MR would read it and collectively think to themselves, "Uh... ok then? Does this guy have family that died?"

It's just an odd expectation on the part of the OP. If this thread had gone positively, what would we have said?

OP: <picture>
    Replies: Yeah man! I love America! God bless those souls.
    (awkward silence...)

15. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Day late... And there's already like four threads about 9/11...

16. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I hear that some of them have substance *shrug*

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No...just 364 days early.

18. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

365. 2012 is a leap year. :p

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Touché

20. snberk103 macrumors 603

Techies.... sigh. Some of the artists I hang around with would need to think a moment about how many days are in a year, leap or otherwise. :)

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Mouth-breathers are contagious. I try to avoid them.

22. (marc), Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

(marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Yes, Americans are first-class people, while everybody else is just a second-class person. That explains pathetic patriotism such as the OP demonstrated, the hero-worshipping of the army, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, etc...

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Exactly.

As to whether the patriotism is inappropriate...I have to admit being put off by the eagle/flag/war motif of the OP's photo. It could almost be one of Stephen Colbert's parodies.

If you wanted to commemorate 9/11, there are lots better pictures to choose from.

[​IMG]

24. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I find it incredible how many people on this thread trivialize 9/11 and post your anti-american "9/11 was provoked" nonsense. Fine then, you say 9/11 was provoked, i say iraq and afghanistan were provoked as well. The funny part is that none of you would say any of this in real life to a victim's family. Must be easy to hide behind computer screens like cowards.

25. soco macrumors 68030

soco

As incredible as you may find it, it's happening. In the grand scheme of all of the things that have happened in the world, it is trivial. It's also horrible and very tragic. No one's making it seem like an average day. Something atrocious happened. When it comes down to it, no one goes making random threads on the anniversaries of TONS of other horrifying mass-murders. That's the hypocracy.

Is that some sort of retort? I agree with you lol. Iraq and Afghanistan were definitely provoked. Not many wars or attacks happen for TRULY no reason. Something starts it.

As for the "funny part," my closest friend at work has 2 family members and 6 or something friends that died on 9/11. I said all of this to her from 4 feet away, desk to desk. So watch your nameslinging.

I wasn't an ass about it either. I didn't go on a tirade. I simply expressed an opinion when the discussion came up over lunch yesterday. Biggest "funny part"?...

She agrees.