9400m won't do dual monitor... uMBP '09

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sporadicMotion, Sep 3, 2009.

1. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

ok, so I haven't been doing the dual monitor thing lately but I needed a larger workspace over the last couple days so I hooked up my uMBP to a Samsung 2233 LCD and all was good. Then I switched over to my 9400m and nothing. I tried re-installing SL from scratch onto a new HD and even on a fresh OS install it wouldn't work. I'm currently running off the 9600m GT which I guess is fine for now but has anyone else run into this?

I'm using the MDP to VGA adaptor as the DVI cable is running to the PC.

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

I don't really know if this will help, just a thought I had...

Maybe it is thinking you are trying to use 3 monitors, and you need to disable the screen on the laptop?

Or maybe the 9400m can't output over DVI and mDP, perhaps some type of adapter for dual dvi from dvi or mDP?

Never really messed with multi monitors on a mac so not sure if that helps, but those were my initial thoughts. Good luck!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try using the DVI cord instead of the vga?

I run my MBP on the 9400m nearly 99.99% of the time, and it runs my dell 24" monitor w/o any problems or headaches.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

might be a hardware issue. It should work fine.

5. sporadicMotion thread starter macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Yeah, same here but without an external. I don't have my DVI adaptor here at work to try.

yeah, I know... it might be a Snow Leopard issue but I really am not sure.

The display control panel does actually show that the one external monitor is connected in addition to the internal display so that's not it. Besides, these things should be able to drive two externals technically.

Definably annoying.

6. Z06jerry macrumors regular

7. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

8. sporadicMotion thread starter macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

yeah, I'm willing to bet that once I try my MDP - DVI it'll work just fine. It's just annoying now... I'll be here at work for the next couple days now and I won't get the opportunity to go home to get it.... bah.

Besides... it SHOULD work.

9. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I'm running a 30" monitor from my MBP, but have the following re-occuring problem when trying to run the external monitor ONLY (Spaces is highly irritating imho with dual monitors): when I try to switch from the MBP's display to the external one and put the MBP to sleep, plug in the monitor, then wake the laptop with the keyboard or mouse, both displays often are black. Typing any key just leads to a chime. Putting the displays to sleep using control-shift-eject and trying to re-awaken them doesn't work. The only way to fix this seems to be reboot, thereby losing all open work.

I've had this problem for a long time, definitely since my last 15" MBP I got last October.

Not sure why Apple isn't willing to fix this problem, maybe I'm just doing something I shouldn't be doing? But if not this way, how do I switch between displays?