97% current battery capacity after 10 days of buying it.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cut85, Sep 2, 2012.

1. cut85 macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I've just bought my first macbook pro exactly 10 days ago. It's the standard 13" 2.9Ghz i7 macbook pro. I've used it only for 6 or 7 times till now (average of not more than half an hour each time), cause I'm busy these days and I don't have time to transfer and organise all of my files from my old pc. However I've downloaded an app called coconutBattery, It shows that the age of my mac is 4 weeks and the current capacity is 5599 mAh and the design capacity is 5770 which is 97%. Is that normal for a 10 days macbook? or let's say 4 weeks according to the coconutBattery app? I've googled the app and I've seen some people with 93% for a 1 year mac.

I copied this from the app, incase it helps you guys figure this out:
    Current capacity: 5599mAh
    Design capacity: 5770mAh
    Mac model: MacBookPro9,2
    Age of your Mac: 4 weeks
    Battery load cycle: 2
    battery temperature: 30.2 C
    Battery power usage: 8.8 Watt

Thanks in advance and I really appreciate your help.

2. 725032 Guest

You should just enjoy it... Stop worrying about tiny percentages

Thats what a warantee is for!!!

3. simsaladimbamba

Battery capacity fluctuates, especially when above 90%. My 2009 MBP jumped from 97 % to 92 % within days, then back to 95 %, now after three years and a measly 400+ cycles it jumps between 91 % and 94%. No need to worry unless the battery capacity goes below 80 %.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

PS: Use the [​IMG] button to report threads accidentally post in the wrong sub-forum and ask for moving it.
    And as you are definitely not the first to confuse the Mac Pro with the MacBook Pro forum, I have to ask, why the confusion?

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

There's no need to download utilities. All you need is already there. Macs manage batteries very well.

Your job is to use it & enjoy it. Evaluating anything when it's so new is a waste of your time.

Celebrate the fact you have, what many people wish they did.

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It's going to fluctuate as mentioned and applications that report capacity aren't always 100% accurate. Using coconutBattery, if you check it a few days from now it may report 98% or even higher instead of the 97% it's displaying right now. It's nothing to worry about, the battery should last you a long time unless it is faulty and you will know if it's faulty or not.

6. Nails1 macrumors newbie

Mine was 97% right out of the box. I just figured anything close to 100% was normal.

7. cut85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for the help.

I think I'm just being paranoid. My previous Iphone was dead after 10 days of buying it. And the problem that where I live, there are no apple stores. So I had to wait for 4 months till a friend went to Canada and replaced it. Shipping it to the States or Canada would cost not less than 300$ and when they ship it back, I can't claim it unless I pay customs and tax.

Thanks again :)