Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacBidouille claims that the first 970 PowerPC mnachines are assembled, stacked and ready to be shipped to resellers. According to the article, the boxes are also sealed with a tamper proof seal with warnings not to open before June 23rd.

There have been conflicting rumors regarding the availability of 970 machines. This rumor would indicate immediate availability at/after WWDC's Keynote.

Talon1138

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2002
college machine

Perfect timing...I hope these are readily available so I can get one for college.

Comment

MacMarino

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Sweet!

I know i for one cant wait! Id love to give these machines a real run for there money and see what they can really do!?! I wonder if the date also reflects when we will see Panther available???

Macmarino

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well if this is true and MacBidouille's specs on the IBM 970 are to be believed, well, this is going to be fantastic.

I just hope they offer duals, but given that a single 1.8 GHz 970 is faster than the dual 1.43 G4, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't offer them immediately. That way they can sell more units in the first offering of the new machines (having more processors available and not putting 2 in all the boxes). And then in September with Panther they'd offer duals when IBM has had a chance to make more.

D

Comment

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Well, we have an entire month before we find. Curious to see what happens between now and then. All I know is that macdobbie has put out some pretty far out stuff concerning the 970 for the past few months. Should they fail on these reports I hope that we don't see their rumors on the front page any longer and they will have no credibility with me any longer.

Still wondering why spymac rumors make it to the front page...

Comment

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
Well, MacBidouille's credibility will either skyrocket or fall off the planet with these 970 rumors. I don't see a lot of middle ground for them.

I'm not going to get overly pumped about these rumors.

Comment

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
Conflicting Rumors

No kidding the rumors have been conflicting. We resolve ourselves to waiting until September, then this comes, and to be sure, another one will come saying the opposite again.

Which one is right will determine whether or not apple has chosen processor producers who can keep up with the competition or not.

Either way, I'm human, and as such have that "I don't want to be wrong" sentiment, so I will continue to love Macintosh no matter how far behind they get.

Besides, they are much prettier.

Comment

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
Originally posted by cubist
Obviously this means that quantities are very limited. Probably these are for WWDC. Everyone else will get to wait...

even so, an anouncement at wwdc would be quite enough for me; the fact that there will be some available imediately? that would be spectacular. not much to do now but sit back, wait, hope, and see if anyone else has sources as willing to talk as MB does...

Comment

mrnoone

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2003
Powerbooks

I really think that Apple needs to release 970 processors in the PowerBooks, at the same time as the powermacs. Who in their right mind would shell out money for a new powerbook when they know new, dramatically faster machines will be around the corner.

Comment

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Re: Powerbooks

Originally posted by mrnoone
I really think that Apple needs to release 970 processors in the PowerBooks, at the same time as the powermacs. Who in their right mind would shell out money for a new powerbook when they know new, dramatically faster machines will be around the corner.

What if it burns your lap and reduces battery time to 20 minutes? Remember, the G4 was in desktops long before PowerBooks.

Anyone who needs a feature-rich laptop today will buy a PBG4.

Comment

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
I surely hope that they can take a photo of the Powermac as with last year. That would be fantastic! And a PDF with the Motherboard design would be great as well. If Macbiddouille can pull this off, they will be the kings of the show!

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
I surely hope that they can take a photo of the Powermac as with last year. That would be fantastic! And a PDF with the Motherboard design would be great as well. If Macbiddouille can pull this off, they will be the kings of the show!

You do have to wonder how they got those images last year, eh? But it seems the security is quite tight this time and the only way we found out about the LCD iMac was because of Time Canada......so, we have less than a month. It will be an interesting time.

D

Comment

kansast

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
So what are they called ?

So they are packed and ready to ship ?
Any word on what these machines will actually be called ? G5s ? 970s ? or what :)
Was fixing to order a new Dual G4 tower for use at work.. might have to try and hold off for a month or two or three :)

Comment

abdul

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2003
East Midlands, UK
where would this put the ibook? that would mean that the ibook will be three processor generation behind. its like dell selling a p2 or original pentium chip.

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by evoluzione
bah, just when i thought i was getting out of debt too :eek:

ahh well, maybe i'll wait for rev.2

I'm thinking I might have to as well, even though it will be painful. It all depends on what's offered this first time around. Dual 1.8s would be quite nice, but on the second release we'd probably see 2.3s or so and maybe some adjustments.

Remember the original G4s (I have one) have a firewire connection on the mobo - which isn't used and was subsequently removed in following versions.

D

Comment

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by cubist
Obviously this means that quantities are very limited. Probably these are for WWDC. Everyone else will get to wait...

how do you figure? the rumor says these will be delivered to wholesalers. that means mass market, baby! so if macbidoodoo is right, these babies will be ready to ship to me and you come june 23.

Comment

mcs37

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Re: Re: Powerbooks

Originally posted by hayesk
What if it burns your lap and reduces battery time to 20 minutes? Remember, the G4 was in desktops long before PowerBooks.

Anyone who needs a feature-rich laptop today will buy a PBG4.

Ummm.... well you're kind of wrong here. The 1.2 GHz PPC 970 only requires 19W of power, whereas a 1 GHz G4 requires over 22 W of power. So you'd actually get better performance and longer battery life.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.