99 percent of gay British pupils hear homophobic language in school

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jul 5, 2012.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is very surprising to me.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/07/0...ay-pupils-hear-homophobic-language-in-school/

2. Queso macrumors G4

Not surprising to me really. Some areas of the UK aren't very gay-friendly at all, and even here in oh-so-swinging London we have the occasional person murdered for being gay.

I don't trust Stonewall's figures though. They do have a tendency to overblow an issue somewhat to justify their own involvement.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You would know more than I would. I'm not familiar with how things work over there.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I think we Americans view Brits as more progressive that we are. That's why it's surprising.

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

On reading this, one note of caution

One thing I do know, is that you always remember the bad things that happened to you.
    I must admit that I find the 99% rather high. Stonewall Like any single issue group they sometimes inflate the numbers, to make their point.

Another point I would like to make is that with better controls at school maybe there is just more reporting of incidents.

Even here in the Netherlands we have reported more incidents of homophobic behaviour, is this because there is more, or more is reported?

After saying that I would like to say that even one incident is one to many.

7. WRP macrumors 6502a

o'rly?

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- I think that's a fairly common (mis)perception amongst Americans.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I imagine 99% of all kids hear the word "gay" used, its pretty popular. I think it started with South Park at my school.

10. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Not surprising Bully and School go hand in hand

There is always some dolt with low self esteem who can only feel better by picking on somebody else.

They don't respect themselves so they cannot begin to respect others.

The school is where they band together in a pack mentality and actively seek people out to bully.

Teachers as a group have tolerated and sometimes encouraged this behavior since the beginning of time.

Not just against the gays, but the weak, small, fat, slow, people with glasses, shabby clothes, anything that's different is fair game.

11. WRP macrumors 6502a

Calling something "gay" started with South Park? I'm 33 and people have used it in a derogatory fashion my whole life.

12. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I think it depends where you go, in NY i'd say your more forward but in the South i'd say your not very progressive... so it's a regional-religeous influence.

The trouble is kids use all sorts of language, i don't think it's directly bullying and i also think the impact of these words isn't what they used to be....

13. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    When I was at secondary school the word gay wasn't in popular use, although when it was used it was used disparagingly admittedly. We had more creative ways of putting each other down now that I think of it. Cumsack, wartnick, tissuet*ts, santa etc. There as a lot of bullying, but there wasn't much racial or homophobic bullying. I would like to see what sort of schools these were, grammar or high schools. Inner or outer city.

What Queso said is spot on though, Stonewall do good work, but I wouldn't trust their figures. They are activists and as such will doctor figures the meet their own (worthy) ends.

I only noticed phrases like 'that's gay' becoming popular on the internet in the past 10 years or so. Annoys me to see it, it's like kids have no imagination anymore. Everything is 'gay' or 'fail'. Did they start making kids in factories or what.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, you're thinking of us. We got it right. :D

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Most of the time at my school homophobic words and phrases aren't actually directed towards gay people as an insult, but straight people as an insult. TBH insults based on homophobic words are quite lame, and often show a person has a limited vocabulary and belongs to a low socioeconomic group.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They are counting every use of the word gay to be homophobic.

Would you similarly count every use of c**t or tw*t to be sexist?

Agreed.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Referring to something lame or stupid as "gay" is nothing new; very old in fact. Only recently has the usage been referred to as homophobic - which is an overreach. If anything it could be considered a slur.

Sorry gay folks, the usage isn't going to change any time soon.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And I know disabled people who cringe when the word lame is used like that.

19. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It's more disturbing than that: they still are more progressive than we are.

20. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Guts... :eek:

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's very true.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It is homophobic. If someone used "Jew" to refer to somebody who is cheap, that would be considered anti-Semitic. Using "gay" to refer to somebody who is stupid is homophobic. There's really no difference between the two.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- it's funny how people just refuse to acknowledge that fact.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What about c**t or twat or lame?

All of these terms are in the same boat.

I don't think Jew and gay are equivalent insults.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Would you call someone using "jew" in that fashion to be jewphobic? Not me. I don't believe that millions of 8th graders out there using the word gay in regards to all the stupid **** in their life are homophobic. The creators of South Park homophobic- doubt it.

Why you conflate mass homophobia with a tick in the english language is a little strange.