$999 2011 iMac Best Buy open box, worth the price?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CheesyTators, Feb 21, 2012.

1. CheesyTators macrumors member

I'm in the market for an iMac and the 2011 model is more than enough power for me and my needs. Best Buy has open box model with everything for $999. It checks out very well, no dents, dings, dead pixels etc... Would you guys jump on it with the 2012 model coming in a few months?

2. 184550 Guest

Personally, I'd buy from directly from Apple as the price is the same and the shipping is free. Also, I *think* that Apple will give you a better warranty than BB.

3. CheesyTators thread starter macrumors member

Ok, good deal, last time I checked the refurb store they didn't have any iMacs..lol I was told I could get the Apple Care on it even though I bought it at Best Buy. But I am in no hurry so I can wait and get it from Apple. I just happen to stumble upon it while at Best Buy and thought $200 off isn't bad at all.

4. CC424 macrumors regular

The warranty will be the same....in fact you could purchase an additional warranty from BB....just depends if you want it now and save a couple of hundred now or spend a couple of hundred later.

5. CheesyTators thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I was thinking of buying the iMac today from BB then around late April grabbing the Apple Care from Apple. That way I could save the $169 for now. I guess it really doesn't matter though in the long run. Do I have a year from purchase date or model release date (May 2011) to get the Apple Care??

6. 184550 Guest

7. CheesyTators thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks to you all for helping me out here. I appreciate it. :apple:

8. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Apple is really cracking down on moving the purchase date of open box items. They have done it before for me and other users. Just recently purchased another open box item from an Authorized Reseller and they would not move purchase date. Talked with three different Customer Relations Supervisors. They did make it worth my time calling by doing other stuff for me. However, they did not technically move my purchase date.

9. CheesyTators thread starter macrumors member

That's good to know. I'm told the iMac was returned this week to BB, so I'm thinking their original purchase date couldn't have been more than 14 days ago since BB allows only 14 days to return computers.

10. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

You can check purchase date through the Apple website if you have the serial number - have them check in store. Also you can attempt to have Apple change purchase date. Several users here have been successful.

11. 184550 Guest

As the OP pointed out 14 days is the max that has been burned for Apple Care. It seems trivial, IMO, to debate that. If it's been sitting there for a month or two, then I could see asking for additional time to purchase Apple Care.