9C89 = LG/Philips LP133WX2. What brand is the 9C8C?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Philflow, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Philflow macrumors 65816

The only way I know how to find out is in bootcamp, run PC Wizard 2008.

If anyone could tell me what brand the 8C panel is I'd appreciate it.

2. bogg macrumors 6502

bogg

AU Optronics

3. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

first of all, there's no need to boot into windows to see your panel model.

system prefs/display/color, select Color LCD (the default), click Open Profile, scroll to line 13, "mmod".

Secondly, you're obsessing. If you think an Apple store is going to open a dozen boxes til you find a 9C8C, you are in for a surprise.

4. Philflow thread starter macrumors 65816

That only gives the Apple device ID. not the brand nor the exact type.

Ok thank you for your concern. For your information I'm coming from 3 Sony laptops and one Air to the Macbook. And frankly when I'm paying 1500 euro I expect a top quality display. If I don't get it I return it or sell it. Simple as that.

5. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Sorry, my bad.

Obviously if you don't like the display, you definitely should return or sell it. But that doesn't explain all the 9C8C questions. Like I said, Apple is not going to let you open boxes til you find what you're looking for.

6. Philflow thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I haven't told you everything so can't blame you.

I bought it on friday, tried to return it this monday. They told me only for 15% restocking they would take it back.

Today i called Apple. They sounded helpful and they told me I should get it replaced. They told me to go back to the store.

So before I go back to the store I'm trying to get to the bottom of this.

I want to know what panel I have and what the other panels are. Also I want to know if I should even get a new panel or just sell it or return it and start some kind of procedure to get my full money back.

My panel has a kind of blueish/greyish tint to it that I can't get out. White never looks white, no matter what profile I try.

7. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

What's wrong with 9C89? That's what I have and it's perfect. I don't have any dust, any dead pixels and the color saturation is fantastic. The viewing angles could be better but I don't usually sit at an angle when using my laptop :rolleyes:

8. Philflow thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess it depends on what you're used to. The new MB's have contrast levels of around 1:160. Good LED displays like Sony SZ7 or MBA have around 1:500.

I had a Sony Z laying around here and I compared it to my MB. Shouldn't have done that. Ignorance was bliss. :)

9. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

This is the greatest reply ever ... its cracked me up real bad! :D

10. Philflow thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks by the way.

11. Greystorm macrumors member

I don't think the 9C8C is any better than the 9C89, from the descriptions and photos people are posting on here they all seem to suffer similar issues.

12. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

I wonder how many people would be able to identify which display in which in a blind test. Really guys... try not to obsess.

13. RudenOffensive macrumors newbie

I have the 9C89 and I have no problems with it. I haven't noticed any issues with it at all (definitely no dead pixels). I did test it with some dark screens, and true, the blacks may not be perfect, but the screen still looks great. I keep reading all these posts about the screen being bad and how everyone's exchanging them...it's making me paranoid! True, these are expensive computers and they should be good quality, but I can't help but feel that some people are just too picky and are looking for things to complain about. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong and this screen really is junk compared to what they could be...but lucky me, I haven't compared them and I'm perfectly happy with my macbook and have no reason to exchange it (except possibly for a macbook air, but that's for totally different reasons haha)

14. Philflow thread starter macrumors 65816

Well it's not a bad screen. It's an average/mediocre screen. Brightness is very good and contrast is mediocre.

So for most users it will be good. For the people who were expecting the MB to be a small version of the MBP (like me) it's a disappointment.

15. actorkid macrumors 6502

the thing is, the MB is NOT a small MBP and it was never advertised as such. The MB is exactly what its made to be; a consumer item. Consumers buy the MB and will honestly have absolutely no problem with the display. If you want the display quality of the MBP then you just have to buy the MBP.

16. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Or if you want portability of the 13" - a MBAir. Apple is careful to not tout that the displays between the two are different. If you read specs. and advert.'s, they sure look on paper to be the same. At least before the MB was LED backlit you knew the display was different, now it's not apparent until you use it. Call me stupid but I assumed they just adopted the Air's panel to help justify the MB's price point.

You read what they print and to the typical user, they look identical:

13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution

17. Zadiek macrumors member

I agree that it is only meant to be a consumer notebook, but Steve Jobs did kind of compare it to a Macbook Pro in the Keynote, lol.

18. Philflow thread starter macrumors 65816

Or the MBA. And that's what I did. Thank god.