9to5 Mac confirms new iPhone design

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KamuiVII, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I confirmed it June 6.:eek: Now lets wait and see if Apple confirms it.;)

2. andyx3x macrumors 65816

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

If that is accurate, there will be no NFC for the next iphone. NFC can't transmit through metal, even if it is as slim as .1mm.

4. alent1234 macrumors 603

5. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Long live that external antenna design.

6. 404 tech junkie macrumors regular

I guess you've never heard of Isis?

7. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

Did you think the dateline of that article was July 7 instead of June 7th?

8. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

it looks much better in actual pics then the ugly renders from before.

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

10. LoloBond macrumors 6502

I believe it when I see it... last year we also had case leaks from china and at the end it was a bust.

11. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Let's see you pay for a bag of chips with passbook. :rolleyes:

----------

Isis only works with 3 cards. And if you don't have American Express (which is probably the worst card ever and far fewer places accept this card over MC and Visa), Capital One cash credit card or Chase Freedom Credit Card, you are SOL.

So far Isis is a joke. Hope it gets better.

----------

LOL. How do you suppose that is going to help? Unless you put the chip on the outside of the phone.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....but isn't Passbook with NFC even betterer?:D

13. lordofthereef, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This is like saying "Who cares about popcorn? Blue whales are better!" (yes, exaggerating here...) in other words, they are two different things used for two different purposes. While I suppose NFC could be used in similar ways to passbook, there are so many more potential functions such as quick bits of data transfer, credit card transactions, etc.

14. Jb07 macrumors 6502

I'm hoping that isn't the actual design, because it's extremely ugly. The white version is absolutely tacky with the yellowish metal and white glass. I expect something better to come from Apple.

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

No no silly. Don't you get how things work with these apple fans? Its only better if apple says its better.

16. 404 tech junkie macrumors regular

Not sure where you got that information, but Isis has agreements in place with Capital one, Chase, Barclaycard, Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. When the national rollout takes place, it will work with just about any card you have.

17. buddgeez macrumors member

I think the fact that its just longer and not both longer and wider, will keep me away this year. I really hope this is false. Because a long phone just looks stupid. I maybe stuck with my 4s or switch to android or windows.

18. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

19. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I got the info direct from the website: http://www.paywithisis.com/what-cards.xhtml

If it will allow use of all cards at all 'paypass' type credit card machines, then there really will be no need for me to carry my credit cards with me any more. Although, it looks like it is starting out for Android and then rolling to Windows Phone and iPhone???

20. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Well, I like the black anodized look over the home-made look of what we have now.

Man. 3.99 inch? Apple can't even get it up to 4 inches? (pun intended)

21. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I hope this isn't the next iPhone, but then again I don't have a choice, so I'll take it for what it's worth. I do, think, the next iPhone will be different.

22. 404 tech junkie macrumors regular

Ok I see where the disconnect is. They are currently doing something of an initial launch starting out in Austin and Salt Lake City, but they actually already have deals in place with the companies I listed previously. Presumably, when they actually do the full release, they will have them instituted into their app. As it stands now, the launch is in its infancy, hence why it isn't a widespread launch yet. As for platforms, it will be launching on the Android platform. As for the other two, they haven't made any mention of Windows Phone yet, and of course iPhone doesn't have NFC yet, so until they add NFC, there's nothing for them to add. Perhaps in the future they might develop a 3rd party add-on for iPhones (if they don't add NFC in the next iPhone), but they haven't made any mention about it. Regarding where is will work, from my understanding it will work on NFC capable registers (such as the Paypass and Paywave terminals). More and more places are starting to get them, and as NFC becomes more commonplace, more business will adopt it.

On another note, I've seen Paypal's new mobile payment system in action. It doesn't require a phone at all.

23. pk7, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

pk7 macrumors 6502

I'm still skeptical.

Look at the history of "the next iPhone" leaks. In 2008, the iPhone 3G was supposedly spied as having a front facing camera. (I'll post a link if I can find one.)

In 2009, the iPhone 3GS was thought to have a matte finish: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/27/new-comparison-photo-of-matte-iphone-enclosure/

In 2011, the iPhone 4S was thought to be radically redesigned with a curved back: http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/15/iphone-5-to-have-radical-new-design-according-to-case-mate-images/
    Other 'leaks' showed it as having it's volume and/or silent controls moved to the other side.

Look at what actually happened.

The only legitimate leak is 2010's iPhone 4 because that was an actual prototype, confirmed by the fact that Apple really wanted it back.

I personally think that that two-tone back is very un-Apple. They're all about consistency, and that's not it. As for the front of the design, I think it could actually be pretty close to the real thing. I'm sure it will be larger diagonally and not just lengthwise though, because that would also be disproportional and inconsistent. But, we will find out, all in due time.

Oh, and the author of that article will be disappointed if he wants anything earlier than a fall release. At the absolute very earliest, it could come out in mid-September, but I think an October launch is more likely.

24. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

The same thing it's been going around... nothing new