_So i think i lost some of the most important files in my life. I'M GONNA DIE

Discussion in 'macOS' started by optimus prime, Sep 7, 2010.

1. optimus prime macrumors regular

i recently got a 2TB hard drive and i wanted to transfer all that i had on my portable drive onto the 2TB one. so i did, and i guess i didn't transfer the "System Volume Information" folder and now i can't open the folders.

it looks like this.

[​IMG]

any help?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why don't you just get the files you need from the source (portable drive)?

3. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

i reformatted it for my time machine, so everything that was on it before is gone.

4. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

More details needed - I take it that at least the source drive is NTFS formatted and you copied from NTFS to Mac Formatted (HFS+) 2TB drive? Also you wiped the original drive after the (failed) transfer?

5. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

yeah it was an NTFS formatted drive that i used with my mac. i have this thing on my computer that lets me read/write ntfs formatted drives. i transferred everything sucessfully (at least it looked like it) then i ejected it. today was the first time i plugged it back in. i didnt transfer the system volume information folder because i didn't think i needed it -_-

6. AshMan macrumors regular

Have you considered using a linux version and then trying to recover the portable drive. done that before on an old computer that the hard drive had been formatted. was able to recover the files by using a linux until on a linux boot disc. Forget which I used.

7. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

the portable drive has been re-written over already.

it did say some of the files on the 2TB hd are unix or whatever. it says "zero kb" so does that mean it's useless? or is there some kind of other data hanging on somewhere else

8. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Does it say Zero KB used on the 2TB drive? because if that's the case, the data is probably not on the 2TB drive...

How much free space is on your old portable?

9. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

So uh....don't delete **** until you verified it was actually safe to delete.

10. AshMan macrumors regular

If you did not safe wipe the drive and zero it out and just formatted it, then it may be possible to recover it.

I have done it before.

You may be able to retrieve the original partition.

There are tools to do so.

Search around the net for partition recovery programs.

You can do it through linux with special software it can locate old partitions and if not too far gone can recover them.

I have looked on an old hard drive before on a clients computer that had been formatted and was able to recover much of the lost data on a drive that had been formatted 2 times.

Most hard drives will have remnants that can be recovered...

11. LPZ macrumors 65816

Of course you're right, but the damage is done. I'm sure the OP is miserable enough already.

12. lao3hero macrumors member

Try PC Tools File Recover. I once formatted my hard disk by mistake but managed to recover my files with this program. GL! :)