A 10BaseT connection will slow all traffic to 10Mb? Doesn't seem right to me.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by blueroom, Dec 10, 2013.

1. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

According to Lacie
    http://www.lacie.com/support/support_manifest.htm?id=10351&article=1387

I was under the impression this was true for WiFi but a network switch (not hub) wouldn't be hampered by a 10BaseT or 100BaseT connection unless that device is actually transferring data.

Comments?

2. Bear macrumors G3

If you have a switch (and not a mislabeled hub) you are correct. Also a 10BaseT device on a switch won't slow down the network for other devices as the switch buffers the data to and from the 10BaseT device.

The real question is which WiFi bases have ethernet hubs and which have ethernet switches in them.

3. blueroom thread starter macrumors 603

blueroom

That's what I thought, seems strange Lacie would say otherwise. Perhaps it's their marketing department.

I'm using an 802.11ac AirPort Extreme and it does have a GigE switch. But I also have HDHomeRuns (10/100) Xbox 360 (10/100). Yesterday I gave the HDHomeRuns on their own network card in the WMC PVR.

4. dyn macrumors 68030

It's a statement from the prehistoric past (it was valid in 1998 when everybody used hubs instead of switches like we do now). There is some relevance to modern days though. It could be a wise thing to put gigabit ethernet on the devices instead of 100Mbit even though the device can not max out gigabit ethernet. If the device can only do 500Mbit than using gigabit means it will be faster than 100 Mbit. Also, wifi still works like a hub (but this disk won't affect that because you use a wire to connect to the network).

I think they wanted to make the story as complete as they could but they simply failed in wording it. The story as it is now is useless and even incorrect information (due it being to out of date) than useful correct information.