A 4" iPhone Will Not Be Enough In The Long Run

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xFenixKnightx, May 28, 2012.

1. xFenixKnightx, May 28, 2012
    Last edited: May 28, 2012

xFenixKnightx macrumors member

xFenixKnightx

Apple would be wise to go to 4.3-4.5" with a new "retina" resolution. 4" isnt going to cut it anymore. Who wants to guess how long it will take for the Apple fanboys (iFans? me included) and Apple haters to start wanting a larger screen after the new supposed 4" iPhone is released? My guess? 1-3 months.

Android phones are now coming in at 4.3-5.3" If Apple makes a 4" iPhone then the wow factor will be gone soon and they will have yet another large group of people clamoring for an even larger one. Why not knock it out of the park right now with the next iPhone? Ensure that your phone will satisfy everyone in the long run and for the the long haul. The devs, the geeks, the average Joes and soccer moms.

My vote goes for a 4.3" Super IPS LCD2, Gorilla Glass 2, Retina display with around 342ppi (like the HTC Rezound) with minimal bezel and polycarbonate or aluminum unibody.

Perfect. :apple:

Your thoughts? Note that I am not asking for a giant 4.8" phone, you guys.

2. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted

A 3.5 inch phone has already proven to be enough.

Beyond that your logic is flawed.

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

4. xFenixKnightx thread starter macrumors member

xFenixKnightx

I assure you Apple has lost sales because they have not gone to a bigger screen. People love to surf the web, watch videos and play games on a nice sized screen. Do they still sell tons of iPhones? Sure. Do they want to dominate Android and spank Samsung? I think they do. This is how they will do that. 4.3"+

5. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

iPhone 5 must be larger than 3.5". However, if there is a significant redesign with an aluminum body and some new styling, I would not mind to keep the 3.5"

However, I think Apple will keep a similar design to the 4 and give it a 4" screen. 4" is plenty big for an iPhone 5.

iPhone 6 can be 4.3-4.5 in 2 years.

6. xFenixKnightx thread starter macrumors member

xFenixKnightx

Which is why I was saying. Why not just go ahead and up the screen now and not have to worry about later. ;)

7. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

3.5 is way too small. The sweet spot would be between 4-4.5. I think some of the phones that are 4.8 and such are just a Tad too big and I'd feel weird having an iPhone that big

8. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I think they should do 4" then 4.3-4.5" to gradually get users of current iPhones to the larger screen.

9. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I've said this before, but give Apple a chance to explain why they've gone with a larger screen this year, and all the naysayers of a larger screen will finally accept the new "perfect size."

Only from Apple will they then see the benefits of a larger screen.

10. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I kind of agree with the OP. If they gradually increase size it'll probably lead to fragmentation because of software being written for different resolutions. Part of the reason I stick with apple is because of their consistency. I think if they don't find a good middle ground now and keep changing it it'll probably hurt them in the long run.

Im really hoping for around 4.2". Although 4" shouldn't be that bad either.

11. xFenixKnightx thread starter macrumors member

xFenixKnightx

Lol so true

12. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Apple has shown that so far they can dominate with 3.5". My guess is that they'll go with a 4" screen for 2 years. During those 2 years they will continue to dominate, even with Android offering a variety of sizes. In 2014, when the next redesign will be due, then maybe they'll bump up the screen size once again (4.3"-4.5") but with the same form factor.

Maybe Apple doesn't feel the need for something larger than 4" this fall or they figure they can get away with 4" for 2 years and then offer us something larger. OP, the questions you are asking have been discussed countless times at Cupertino. Every decision made is done so for a reason and after a lot of thought. The iPhone will remain king as long as iOS stays strong and Apple doesn't offer some horrible hardware (which I doubt they would).

13. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

Doing so will raise the bar even higher than is needed. If an iPhone 5 had a 4.7" screen, the iPhone 6 (assuming it comes out in 2014) will require a 5-6" screen! :D

14. jediistar macrumors 6502

Any sort of numbers to back up your "assurance" that Apple has "lost" sales because of your "theory?" I get what you are saying, but making wild claims without statistical support is just asking for trouble on these here forums.

15. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

Enough for what? To stick the phone in your face in order to read something off the web cause it it too small?

Or to scroll 100times to read a small paragraph cause when zoomed in you only have 16 words on screen?

Dictatorship?

to maximise profits? :eek:

16. Black Dawg Down macrumors member

Screen size is NOT the biggest problem. The problem is iOS. After 5 years it's really showing its age and not much has changed in terms of UI and looks.

I would be happy with a 4" screen BUT with a major overhaul in iOS6.

But then again it may be hard to switch back to a smaller screen after getting used to my HOX's 4.8"

To the people that says it's too large, you really have to own and use it for a while. Trying it in the shops is not the same thing. Give it a couple of weeks and you will not want to switch back. It's not cumbersome at all and your eyes will thank you for it.

17. Novaappledude macrumors newbie

I actually think that 3.5" is no longer enough for me. most of my friends are using 4.0 or higher now and it feels so much better in movies and games. If iPhone 5 remain 3.5". I'm not gonna buy it. Fingercross..let it be 4.2".LOL

18. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

This nails it on the head.

iOS is where I'm really keeping my eye on.

19. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

We all want 5" or more. I hate only using one hand to operate my phone. What am I to do with my other hand?!?!?

20. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...except that they could make a 4" screen while keeping the phone (roughly) the same size. That can't be said about going to 4.3"+.

Just because you don't have any problems with a larger phone doesn't mean nobody else does... and yes, a .5" difference in width IS noticeable when carrying in pants or when using the phone one handed.

21. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

I do know that my father didn't get an iPhone because of the smaller screen (harder to see, harder to type on). Now mind you I didn't agree with him (I own one) but that was his logic. I suspect he's not the only one.

22. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I personally think 4.3 inches is the best spot to be in, but I think Apple will go to 4.0 inches and stay there, since competitors will never go to 5 inches.

As long as 4 is the common number between all smartphones, Apple has no reason to go any higher than that.

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I've owned android phones from 3.2 to 4.6" in the last 3 years.

I still ended up with a 3.5" iPhone now, and I see no reason to change back to android even if they sold 6" phones.

The OS, apps, and fragmentation suck too much for me to give up my iPhone even if the next phone has another 3.5" screen.

24. aleni macrumors 68020

You know what? I got a galaxy note with it's monsterous screen, even it's bigger than the iphone, i find it much easy and much accurate to type with the iphone. And yes, i have tried go keyboard, smartkeyboard pro and the gb and ics stock keyboards.

25. BK. macrumors member

If I wanted a phone that looked like a power brick with a display, well, I'd buy an Android phone to begin with.

I don't need an almost 6" mobile phone. The current iPhone fits in my pockets - not super amazingly well - but it just about fits. Any bigger and it wouldn't.

The second a mobile phone becomes less mobile is the second a mobile phone manufacturer needs to have a sit down with themselves and rethink their priorities.

It is a mobile phone. Not a tablet, netbook, laptop, desktop, TV, computer monitor, etc. A mobile phone first and foremost. If you want a bigger iPhone? Keep your current phone and buy an iPad.