A (Bipartisan?) Proposal: Get rid of Daylight Saving Time

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Mar 14, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'd fully support any candidate or lawmaker who introduced legislation that got rid of Daylight Saving Time.

The history of the topic is somewhat interesting: It was first introduced in Germany and Austria during WWI as a means of reducing the amount of coal burned in power plants. For some strange reason it was picked up by Britain and other countries. After WWI it was largely abandoned around the world. It got re-introduced in the USA as a response to the Energy Crisis in the mid-1970s.

There is no scientific consensus that it significantly (i.e. +/- 0.5%) changes energy consumption. It plays no meaningful effect in the lives or operations of farmers, or indeed any industry.

Instead, it means that 330 million of us, twice a year, find our sleep patterns needlessly disrupted. We waste endless time resetting timepieces (the dashboard clock in my car. The microwave oven. My watch.) Making things worse is the fact that different countries apply Daylight Saving Time on different dates. Sometimes my mother, living in the UK, is six hours ahead. Sometimes four. God only knows how much time computer programmers spend waste trying to keep all of this straight. Countries in the Southern Hemisphere change their clocks in opposite direction - meaning the clocks spring forward in Adelaide and Melbourne at (roughly) the same time as those in Chicago and London are falling back.

Does anybody have a good reason to keep DST? Getting rid of it isn't going to result in Utopia. But its just one less needless hassle we can all do without.

2. cfedu, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016

cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I would rather have an extra hour of light in the evening rather in the morning when I am sleeping. The usefulness of DST is highly dependant on your latitude with the greatest benefits the more north you are.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

An ancient relic that has no place in American life any longer, much like the caucus. Many studies show it does more harm than good. Heart attacks and suicides tend to rise in the 2 weeks after we change clocks.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

I say protest. The way that Kramer did in Seinfeld, with the result that Kramer was hilariously either too early or too late for appointments.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Go to bed earlier in the evening and wake up earlier in the morning. That'll solve your problem.

6. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Thats a great idea, I will just change everything I do by one hour. I can asks my children's school if they will also accommodate this change so I can drop them off an hour earlier.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I believe we should stay on DST permanently, get rid of Standard entirely.

The night's more fun when it feels like you've earned it.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

What are you wanting to use that extra hour for that you can't do in the morning? Dropping your kids off at school doesn't have to be the first thing you do in the morning.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

agreed, this way the kids have plenty of light on the way home as well.

10. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Going for an evening bike ride with my children when the sun is still up, having my children play outside while it's still light outsude and having other social gatherings. bentchristian asked for some positives and I gave an example.

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Why not make it a morning one before school?

12. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Do you have children? I'm not going to wake up my children a 5 am to go on an activity and then rush them to school.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

But if we say that 5 am is 6 am you'll wake them up. I'm sorry, but that makes no sense...

14. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I'm not following, but that's OK.

15. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Ya know as a bachelor you don't understand that the night is more scary because first your wife will want to "talk" then your kid(s) will wake up at all kinds of inconvenient times.

16. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Is it your point/opinion that there is no evening-daylight activity that cannot be swapped to a 6:00 a.m.-daylight activity?

17. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I don't have kids, but sometimes...late at night...my girlfriend wants to talk about how my day went.

"...I dunno. Stuff happened. I'm not dead. So I guess it went pretty alright."

19. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I'd be fine with this if New England switched to Atlantic time where we belong. We're too far to the east to be in EST. In the winter the sun sets here only like 20 minutes before Anchorage.

20. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Pretty much. Think about it this way, by taking a swim at 5:30 in the morning, you will save a lot of money on sunscreen.

21. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

That works great when single but when you're married that not longer works....at least for me....my wife seems to think I'm a suave six packed adonis that ladies want to molest vs the grouchy git that folks who don't want the immediate truth stated to them avoid, I blame that on beer goggles even though she doesn't drink.

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The only thing DST is good for is making sure the sun is in my eyes on my commute to work in the morning and in my eyes on my commute home in the evening.:mad::mad::mad:

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It's probably worse for me, since I'm still friends with a bunch of my ex's (the crazy ones, mostly), and I flirt a bunch. She knows she can beat me about the face and neck, and not have to worry about a settlement in divorce court afterwards.

Also, she knows I won't go to the cops, because my male pride won't let me admit I've been beat up by a girl.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'm friends with my ex's as well as their parents too that's one of the reasons my wife thinks I'm a philanderer too..In the end I'm an ugly bastard who thinks his wife is pretty cool no matter.