A Black Muslim in the White House

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CorvusCamenarum, Sep 25, 2012.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

...and it's some amazing s***, says Madonna. (It's around the 1:50 mark or so)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90bAsaeKabU

So, do we start referring to her as a racist, or a birther, or what? I'm confused because she's a Hollywood liberal.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What do we call her? A stupid has been pop star, perhaps? She made a stupid comment, granted she didn't say it in a derogatory manner.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think she was trying to be ironic.

I'm frankly more concerned about her tummy.

I thought she was some kind of workout freak.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

why would you call her a "Hollywood Liberal", when she's been a pom for the past decade and a bit? She hasn't lived in the US since 1998, if not earlier.

that's 14 years.

Igno^H^H^H^HLack of information strikes again? *ahem*

BL.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Yes. She's a racist and a birther.

Is that what you wanted people to say? I'm not really sure what your point is.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Singers just need to stay out of politics. People making speeches like that are actually hurting Obama and it makes more work for him as he then has to work to detach himself from these people. As far as "a Black Muslim" goes, I'm pretty sure the dude is Christian.

But as far as that goes, one military/public official summed it better than any reporter, religious leader, or politician ever could.
    --Colin Powell

http://blakehuggins.com/2008/10/19/colin-powell-it-wouldnt-matter-if-obama-was-muslim/

7. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

As far as I can tell, he's somewhere from agnostic to atheist, probably not unlike most politicians. I don't really care in any event, and that's not the point.

I can only imagine how this thread would be turning out had it been, say, some country singer telling his paying audience not to vote for Obama because he's a "black Muslim".

8. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Why is it important what religion the president adheres to, or even if he's an atheist?

Actually, to run for office in this country and publicly state you're an atheist takes stones, considering the Christian party line on what is or is not acceptable. So much for "freedom" here.

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That would get a pretty big yawn, because most country singers have an audience that is in large part not likely to consider voting for Obama. Well, except the Dixie Chicks.

10. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

He's a politician. At this point I'm just happy it seems like he's staying somewhat neutral on the Iran/Israel situation. Going to war with Iran is absolutely the last thing we need right now.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

For what it's worth - I don't believe she was telling people to vote for him because he was a "black muslim". So it would be a different situation if someone came out saying not to vote for him for that reason.

I can't watch the video at work, but here's what she said (according to the source):

Source

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

She used the term ironically ... not to paint an accurate description, but to show how far the country has progressed, that they'd elect a "black Muslim".

It's turning a "derogatory" term on its head to rob it of its power, similar to when gay people call each other f-word and black people calling each other the n-word.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

This makes complete sense, especially considering her audience. And the spirt of what she was saying was correct. I'm just confused as to the point of the OP.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think he believes the first liberal finally slipped and let out the truth.

Now we'll probably find Madonna in cement boots at the bottom of Lake Michigan.

;)

Let him live his fantasy.

Right now, he has so little else.

15. leekohler, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- it's pretty clear from the rest of her little speech that she's making fun of people who think Obama's a Muslim. Nice try though. You'll grasp at anything, won't you?

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Looking at the Dixie Chicks brouhaha and Ted Nugent's pervasive doltishness, I think singers should be able to talk about politics. Singers are often shallow political thinkers, but I don't want us to get to the point where everyone is afraid to talk about their politics.

We should be able to disagree without running CDs over with steamrollers or otherwise freaking out.

If we promise to excommunicate her for being wrong, will conservatives actually start punishing people like Joe Arpaio? I won't hold my breath.

She's a dunderhead. She's wrong, but she's not a racist or a "birther." Note, she's apparently confused (if she's not being ironic, I can't tell) about his religion not his place of birth and she isn't arguing that qualities of his race are immediately part of him.

But, thanks for trying to play the Equivalency Game.

17. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

She's an Islamophobe. And a hardline quasi-Zionist.

So the comment was probably something sarcastic.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Confirmed ...

19. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Excellent! Nor should we care about Romney's religion.

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Something tells me we're just preaching to the choir. The OP doesn't seem to be coming back to this thread anytime soon.

I think he's moved on to analyzing all of Lindsay Lohan's tweets regarding Obama.

Believe me, Romney's religion is the least of the issues that many have with him.

21. APlotdevice, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It seems like hardly anyone does. Even though he ironically would be the first non-Christian president if elected.

(Okay yes, it's debatable with Jefferson)

22. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

23. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Madonna just needs to go away. This gay is sick and tired of her kabbalah ass.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Actually, all gay disco needs to go away.

25. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This thread has really made positive progress in the lives of the American people.