A blind man couldn’t order pizza from Domino’s

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 25, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/25/dom...S_xz1pVEwnBGANJuoS2BnLY6MLXrvibIKfKHletp_jwrw

interesting, what are they supposed to do to make them friendly to the blind?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It’s not difficult. Screen readers are easy enough to support.

And Dominoes is a big company.

I don’t get why they are fighting this.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

because they are being sued............

4. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

Can they not just phone the place and order it the old fashioned way?

5. jerwin macrumors 68020

Maybe Dominos should shut down their app and their website, as people can just use their phones.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

You may not get the same deals as you can when using online coupon codes. I'm just guessing. I haven't called to order a pizza in years. Online is way better and less apt to a screw up.

7. Zenithal macrumors G3

ADA compliance was never intended for websites. This is gray area territory. It's a massive reach, too. The law needs updating otherwise deciding on a case may set precedence and cause headaches down the line.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I’m sure if they agreed to make their website compliant and paid the guys legal fees he’d go away.

9. jerwin macrumors 68020

Why is it a "gray area"? The web isn't some gray cul de sac of our lives. I order a lot of stuff on amazon not because it's neato, or space age, or ultra kool. It's because the alternatives-- the brick and mortar locations that sold the same kinds of products, have largely gone bankrupt. The web needs to be accessible.

Speaking of accessibility, one of the great things about regulated Taxi companies is ADA compliance. But Lyft doesn't care about such decencies.

https://www.fastcompany.com/9034392...ransportation-company-to-avoid-ada-compliance

10. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Intended or not rendering a group of people unable to use the internet in 2019 is de facto discrimination

11. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Does this mean that every website would need to cater to blind people as well in the future?

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Do they not know you can order Dominos from Alexa and Google Assistant?

Case Closed and I'll send you my fee. :p

13. Zenithal macrumors G3

What about specific persons? Because the government does both. And for smaller site owners, what do you suggest? Those who can't afford the development team a multi-national company can. Do you suggest budgeting a slush fund with federal grants subject to the owners estimate and not a third party?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 25, 2019 ---
    On the other hand, does this mean record labels should include a brochure for their artists' album filled with sign language so they could follow the song whilst not hearing anything except feeling the thump from the bass?

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you build the site correctly (progressive enhancement, etc) then you effectively get screen reader support "for free". The problems tend to come along when e.g. the marketing department wants it to look "exactly like this" and they end up having to put layers of hacks in to make it behave like that.

Obviously this is an oversimplification but hopefully it gets the point across.

15. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

(Genuine question)
    Out of curiosity does this website cater to the blind as well?

16. Jensend macrumors regular

Or, you know, you could print the lyrics using letters and words? But that’s a bad example. Blind people can enjoy a pizza* just as much as a sighted person, but deaf people can’t enjoy music as much as hearing people, even with assistive tools.

For a more realistic example of assistive tools: Almost all TV shows and movies have closed captioning, and many (most?) new movies have audio description channels for blind people.
    One nice thing about closed captions is that they can be useful even to people who have relatively good hearing.

*or in the case of Domino’s, not enjoy.

17. jerwin macrumors 68020

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Dominos-Ruling.pdf

well, let's look at the website for instructions.

For want of accessibility, the website was lost,
    For want of a website, the pizza profile was lost,
    for want of a pizza profile the skill was lost.
    for want of a skill, the delivery was lost.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Should Dominos plug a blind person's computer into the electrical wall socket as well?

ANY accessibility feature has to be activated and/or initially setup by sight. If a blind person has nobody to help them with any initial setup, then that's there issue and not any company's.

19. jerwin macrumors 68020

watch this video and be ashamed.

20. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Phone it in? Uhh…. I think Americans lost that skill about 9 years ago. :D

21. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Apple should design things such that Siri can be used to order pizza.

but then again, people using Siri would be lucky to get pizza let alone what they wanted on it :).

22. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

The PETA representative will call back on your iPhone…. and then scream at you for ordering the "meat lovers pizza".

23. jerwin macrumors 68020

At the time the lawsuit was filed, the website was similarly inaccessible.

24. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I don't think there should be a law that says ALL websites should be "accessible" for the sight impaired. HOWEVER I do believe all business websites should be and I believe there is a law(ADA?) that says it.
    Unless you are really doing something strange with your site code it isn't that hard to add the tags/mark up so a text reader can utilize it.

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that; I've never looked at how it's built.