A blog about why I hate the "N" Word...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by OnlyMarcusCannn, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnlyMarcusCannn macrumors regular

Moderator note: This thread has been closed because the user is not eligible to post threads in the Politics, Religion, and Social Issues forum.

[To mods: I would post this in the "social issues" forum, but due to my current posting status, I cannot :eek:]

I just wrote a blog about the infamous "N" word. I thought it was an interesting read, and would like some input. :)

CLICK HERE. [Notice: It's MySpace :eek:]

EDIT: after posting the blog, I got a lovely reply:

"black ppl are n****s because they want to be they dress like it they talk like it the sey the word they must want to be

get over it and stop being a complaining b*tch"

Life truly baffles me sometimes.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

good blog

i hate that word too and all other bad words

ALTHOUGH i am guilty of saying gay=stupid and retarded =stupis all the time. just the way i was brought up and how me and my friends spoke. im trying to watch myself more but it is a hard habit to break if you are used to saying certain words

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm sorry, it doesn't mean it gets a pass. This is clearly a topic for the PRSI forum, and I'm sorry you can't participate in the discussion, but you know and I both know it has to be in here.

4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I can see where you care coming from. Obviously me being white, I don't know what that is like. I don't mind people using it for comedy or music (since my favorite kind of music uses it a lot). But it definitely becomes a problem when people use it to be mean.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

6. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Environmentalists?

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Nicely put, Marcus.

And yes, that word belongs in the gutter. Perhaps I'm being hypocritical, but I have a lot less trouble with people using the f-word than I do with the n-word.

I have my standards, you know. :D

8. djellison macrumors 68020

Surely the fact that one race of people can use it (and do, liberally) but another can not - is, in itself, a racist double standard.

Chris Rock, for example, uses it an enormous amount, to the delight of his often predominantly black audience. I don't use it myself, but I don't see how it, in the contest of a black community in the way Rock uses it - is, for example, any different to a white person using the word 'chav'.

The use of one word can not and does not render someone a racist. It is the intent and thoughts behind words that render someone racist.

Doug

9. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I think intent is a large part of it, but I think there are taboos that are taboos because of historical context. When a man calls a woman a "bitch" or even a "slut" it has a different context than if a woman did the same to another woman. Boo-hoo. That's just life. Women have tried to "take back" the word "bitch" just like black rappers have tried to "take back" the "N" word. Same thing with words like "fag" and "dyke". Guess what? Shocker... Taking back words ultimately doesn't REALLY work...

It ends up created confused people that think all women are ok being called "bitches" (because bitches "get stuff done") or that all black people appreciate hearing the N word because other blacks keep trying to "take it back". Guess what... Its all still offensive language no matter your gender or skin color. If you have no appreciation for the nuances of rebellion, oppression, and history... It all begins to look like a double-standard. Meanwhile, in reality these words will remain controversial depending on who you are, how you've been accepted by your audience, and the context of the conversation.

You DO realize there is a rich tradition of jewish comedians making fun of Jewish traditions, and saying, "It's okay, I'm Jewish". For anyone to fail to recognize how otherwise "racist" sounding rhetoric or criticism or language is often DEFUSED by the commenter BEING the race, gender, or nationality at target is pretty ridiculous. For instance, even with Chris Rock... anyone who's listened to him KNOWS that Chris Rock isn't even using ANY EXISTING dictionary definition for a "N word". He's made up his own definition, which he's even distinguished from "black people" (in his mind, its a subclass of black people). He has a whole sketch around it. For a white male to laughingly pretend his usage of the word automatically has the same context sounds pretty ignorant... and in a complete NON-racist way. Eddie Murphy has treaded a very very fine line when he's done impersonations of an old Jewish man. Meanwhile, the movie "Soul Man" had a white male actor do a fairly inciteful job of pretending to be a black male, and as far as I'm concerned did a damn good job.

One of my friends and I regularly call each other bastards and cowards as terms of endearment. Once I accidentally called his son a bastard, with a little too much inflection, forgetting that his son WAS born out of wedlock, and he immediately said, "What did you just say?" People need to recognize that linguistics, communication and meaning shouldn't be a soapbox for semantic equality. That's never going to happen. Its not how we're built. EVERYTHING has CONTEXT. EVERYTHING gives CONTEXT.

Damon Wayans actually tried to "trademark" the "N WORD" in an effort to legally "control" the term. Didn't work. Why? Because its a highly charged, deeply meaningful, 6-letter lump of toxic waste. Unless its contained in a sufficiently neutralizing context, it becomes radioactive and begins to destroy every strip of otherwise innocuous meaning in a discussion.

This is a foolish point to make in my opinion. Not that you're a fool, but that this point is... pointless. You know the term "perception is reality"? If you called a black person the "N word", in a completely "joking" way, and a complete stranger gave you a funny look... You might turn to your black friend and say, "Heh, he knows I'm joking!" And your friend may say, "Yeah, but its kind of f-ed up. I wish you wouldn't think its ok." You could preach your point of view until you're blue in the face, and still be ignorant of the reality that you probably shouldn't be throwing the term around.

Growing up, I was called the "N word" in 1st grade. I went to a mostly white school as part of a cultural program that bussed inner city kids out to the suburbs. 20 years later, I comment on this to my mother and she's incredulous that I never told her. She grew up in the south, Birmingham, Alabama and experienced a lot of racism first hand. If I'd told her what kids were calling me back then, I'm sure it would have made her cry and she would have wanted to know who was doing this. For me back then... it meant nothing. These kids probably heard it from their parents and wanted to see if the word held any power over me. It didn't. If it had (perhaps if it had been accompanied with physical abuse), and it did have meaning for many other kids, I would have had a radically different perspective growing up.

I don't like the word. I might tolerate blacks trying to "take it back", but black friends I have know I don't want to hear it, and aren't likely to use it anyway. If I had a white friend who felt somehow disenfranchised by not using it, I'd be very puzzled for his state of mind as to WHY he thinks its so important for him to "take back" the new context out of some misguided sense of equality. There are words gay men might call each other that I don't call them. There are words that women might use on another woman that I wouldn't use (all because I know how it might come across, and I prefer being understood properly if I can avoid problems).

Welcome to the spectrum of language and communication. It's kind of crazy like that.

Can ANYONE sing the lyrics to "Gold digger" (by Kanye West) out-loud in public and not get criticized for being a racist? Honestly, I think ANYONE can (although most people would look really silly). It's the lyrics to a very well known song. Some obscure rap song that has you "capping" "N word" targets left and right? No. Probably not.

~ CB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.