a bowl of dust

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, May 28, 2013.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Interesting map of the US dryness situation.

In the middle, there appears to be a serious long-term drought situated over western Oklahoma, including adjacent parts of TX, KS, NM and CO. This is the exact region that gave rise to the "dustbowl" of the 1930s, which sent towering walls of dirt roiling across the country. A layer of the region ended up coating Boston, it was so bad.

Now, yes, we do have somewhat improved farming techniques these days (I think/hope, anyway), it is unlikely that the dustbowl extremes of the past will be revisited, but still this looks getting to be pretty bad overall. Many parts of the country are probably going to have to cut way back on water usage.

The important question is: should we wait for this to become a problem? Or should we try to address it now, before it is a real problem?

(This is not a thread for discussing causes, this is here now, should we try to deal with it now, or wait?)

2. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

I don't know how you can deal with it. You can't change the weather and there is only so much water that you an pump out of the ground out there.

3. samiwas macrumors 65816

I always found it strange that even when massive storms rolled through the southeast, that my area of Atlanta rarely got rain. If we did, it was just some small showers. Some people said I was just seeing things.

[​IMG]

Interesting. This is from last summer, and it was this way for some time before. The southeast is white (nothing) while the area immediately surrounding Atlanta is deep red (exceptional). It really does seem true that the rain just breaks up before we ever get to see it. Nowadays, we are back to fairly normal. thankfully.

4. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Its not just the lack of rain thats the problem.

In many parts of the midwest the aquifers that provide irrigation are starting to run dry. Saw this article in last week's New York Times

The drought conditions of the last couple of years have exacerbated the problem. With no rainfall, farmers raise crops purely using pumped water from their wells - which just accelerates the depletion of the aquifer.

This is a potentially huge, huge problem. For most of the last hundred years or so, the bounty of the American midwest has helped feed the world with cheap food.