A change of heart: Going from SE to 8 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by opticflare, Sep 17, 2017.

1. opticflare macrumors member

I've been using the SE for awhile now. To this day I still think it's one of the best iPhones ever made and really does well in targeting a specific crowd.

But after the announcement I decided to pre-order the iPhone 8 Plus. I did the 64GB space gray model. Primary reason being is I noticed my usage has started to slowly change overtime. I'm still a pretty casual user compared to most people, but the main biggest things that do bother me with the SE is the typing and the screen.

I've been sending a lot of e-mails lately for my job on my phone, some of them can be rather lengthy, and typing on the SE can be extremely frustrating. The screen is also just a tad bit too small and outdated for my tastes. My girlfriend has a 7 Plus and her screen is so much better in quality and formatting. I always pick it up and use it when reading, it's so much more gentle on the eyes.

Which brings me to my next point, my current setup is just simply a 15" MacBook Pro, but it's mostly a desktop replacement. I don't really like taking my Mac to a lot of places, so I want my mobile device to serve as a serviceable secondary device that can assist me. If I had a 8 Plus I would be more inclined to watch videos on it or continuing to write my e-mails and such. Because with the SE, it makes me want to buy a iPad, but if I have a 8 Plus that can act as a mini iPad for me as well, and for the price of an SE + iPad almost comes out equal to a iPhone 8 Plus, but I get everything all in one. And the resale value on the 8 will be very good. Resale values on the SE definitely aren't as good.

Not to mention, the SE is going to start getting dated in a year or two. We'll start noticing the slow downs, there are rumors of another SE coming out next year. But the specs of the 8 Plus just looks really appealing right now.

I went with the Plus over the X because I feel the X is a first generation product and I'd like to standby on it. I can already see Apple next year updating the X pretty significantly, making it thinner, lighter, etc etc. the Plus, while boring and long in the tooth, is an established and proven build.

Anyways, just my thoughts. To the contrary, did anyone else move from an SE to a larger model? How was the transition for you? How do you like the Plus model?

2. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Definitely the best typing experience on the plus iPhones imo, so sure you'll love it :) having considered it briefly I don't think I could even go down to a Xs narrower screen now!

3. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

I have a 6+. Been wanting to go back to an SE sized phone for the past 6 months now for the simplicity since i dont do anything crazy with my phone anyways, but then they announced the 8+, and i got caught up in it. Guess im staying with phablets in the near future.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I have experiences with both the SE and Plus model. If you feel you can comfortably use the iPhone Plus away from the iPhone SE form factor, there is a lot to be appreciated with the iPhone Plus battery life, 1080 P display, portrait/landscape mode, and 3D Touch as well. What it comes down to if you feel you can pre-she ate a larger 5.5 inch display and Carrying it will also make an impact as well, being its much larger.