A Christian Dilemma

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iCantwait, Apr 22, 2008.

1. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

ok,

Jesus said "love your enemy"

God says "Satan is your enemy"

What am I to do?

no one say "Become Jewish" because i have already been told that.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Develop your own rules of life instead of taking them from an ancient book.

jon

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Whatever you want to do. Don't get too caught up in who is the devil and who is the savior. Just follow the basic idea behind Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, and just about every other religion ever created, as well as decent human morals; respect the world around you. If you respect people, animals, and the general existence in which we live, you will end up in heaven, you'll reincarnate as a royalty, you'll get positive energy, you'll get good karma, or whatever your beliefs entail.

I'm Atheist, but I still believe in karma.

5. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

ask a priest

also: so satin is your enemy, you can still love him, those sentences don't really contradict each other imo

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's a good idea.

7. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

You're Australian. This is the only religion you should be concerned with.

Other than that; just live life like your mother would want you to.

Good luck.

8. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Yeah, that's one of the countless contradictions that you'll find in that book. Think for yourself, and that doesn't even mean moving away from God. God gave you your mind, didn't he?

9. Mackan macrumors 65816

Well, I fear you ain't getting far with logical reasoning with a priest. Basically, (if the priest really feels pushed) he/she will give you "God has a meaning with everything" back in your face.

Satisfied with such answers? No? Then as someone pointed out, try to think for yourself, and come to your own conclusions.

10. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I'm going to echo the advice that a couple of other people have given: talk to your pastor or a local religious leader if you don't attend a church. A good one (and most of them are) will actually help you figure this issue out, not just try to give you a trite answer.

A lot of understanding the Bible requires some understanding of the cultural context of the authors, as well as the various literary styles employed. The Bible has a wealth of simple truth, but there's also a lot of depth for those who care to put some time and effort into understanding the cultures of the ancient near & middle east, the religious practices of Israel's neighbors, and, as mentioned, cultural context and literary forms. I doubt that any of us are qualified to be of much help in this regard.

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

You called? .... :)

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Logically there is no dilemma here. If God and Jesus said those things, and you are committed to doing whatever they say, then you are directed to love Satan.

Get the Holy Spirit to say "do not love Satan" and you've got a problem, or possibly a weapon to save up for use in a future robot uprising.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

OP, looking at things metaphorically (which is always a good idea with Religion) - you can look at God/Good as being representative of Love - and evil being characterized by the total absence of love.

Therefore - Satan insofar as he is representitive of evil, is the "enemy" of Love, as he embodies none.

That said, it is not god-like to act towards evil with anything that isn't motivated by love - as hate and other related reactions are more characteristic of evil.

Does that make sense? I am obviously not that religious and it probably shows...

14. McGiord, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

To love doesn't necessary mean to follow blindly.

"Love others like you'll love me" Christ said also.
    ________
    Yamaha V-Max picture

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Doesn't seem that hard....love satan....I mean, what they are saying agree with each other, right?

I'm not religious, but personal, that seemed easy

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hatred is never productive. Satan does not exist. Jesus may not have existed either. Make up your own mind.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Love the sinner, hate the sin. But then hate the sinner anyway. It's hypocritical, but then you can just ask for forgiveness and you're good. Or stop thinking you'll find God in a book, because you probably won't.

18. walangij macrumors 6502

I agree, even better, talk w/a scholar if you have access to one. I've talked with many religious scholars from various faiths and it astounds me how intricate and beautiful the Holy Scriptures ( pick one Bible, Bhagavad Gita, Torah, Quran, ect) are. Simple answers to tough questions usually aren't thought through thoroughly IME, ask an expert in your quest for understanding.

19. nick9191 macrumors 68040

You are meant to use The Bible as a guide of how to live your life, not follow it word for word.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Bingo. Allegorical guidelines, not literal translations. So few get that. But then, some religious texts say within them that they are to be taken literally. No matter the reasons for that part being added.

21. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

That's going to need some explaining, surely?

22. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

When Jesus said "enemy" he meant humans. Satan is the embodiment of evil. Therefore you don't have to love Satan since he is not a man.

At the very most he is a fallen angel (a messenger of God, which is a celestial being who doesn't have a soul in the way a man does), at the very least he's a metaphor for an idea (evil).

P.S. I love how the atheists get all preachy, telling the original poster that Christianity is dumb, when a Christian question is asked, yet no Christians slam atheism or ask the original poster to convert when an atheist has a crisis (or at least of what I saw; I didn't read the whole thread as it's quite long, but I can be relatively sure that if someone did suggest it, he was viciously attacked).

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I thought you weren't going to post here anymore since we all suck.

And yeah, I think it's been brought up. The guy himself is thinking of converting to something. I didn't notice if anyone viciously attacked him for it.

Edit: Maybe I'm confusing this with another thread. Oops, I am. I was talking about the atheist who isn't really who spelled panicking wrong. My mistake. As I said above, love the sinner hate the sin should just about cover it, even when talking about that guy.

24. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I figured this was a safe enough post to make without having to get into a huge discussion. Let's hope I was right.

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I hope so too.

What do you think of my edit? Shmaltzy, true, but covers the bases nicely doesn't it? If you believe in Satan as a construct, you can love and or pity it while hating it's sins. As concept, you are safe simply trying to avoid it. Simple but effective no?