A "cloud" mystery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x986, Oct 8, 2012.

1. x986 macrumors regular

When I got my 4s, my wife got my 4 as her first iPhone. About three months ago her battery started to fail big time, so she went to the local Apple Store. (She had never backed it up, and she was not on the cloud.) The first thing the Genius did was try to back up to the cloud, then he/she said it didn't work, your battery AND phone are toast; here is a refurb at the 'special' price of (about) $165. The apps were OK, but her million phone numbers were gone.

I'm pretty good about syncing with iTunes, but have never had a cloud account. In preparation for my incoming (sometime) 5 I thought I better get a cloud acct. for backup. I think you can guess where this is going. - Yep, my phone now has her million numbers in addition to my own.

How can I get them from my cloud (or phone) to her cloud (or phone)?

Thanx for your help.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

First off, different users mean you're going to want to use different iCloud accounts. Otherwise, all of the contact info she has is going to mingle with yours, on both phones.

One way or another, you are both syncing to the same contact list, which is why your phone is getting her contacts.

Only way to fix this now is to set up your own iCloud account, separate from hers, and then starts syncing your contacts to it. Then, remove her account. Then you'll have to go into your contacts and remove the ones you don't want.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

We just did backup and restore of two phones using itunes.

No icloud here.

4. x986 thread starter macrumors regular

Let me try to clarify the situation 'cause it ain't never simple.
    1. She has to get access to my phone list or cloud to download what she needs.
    2. Then I have to get all the extras off my cloud/phone and NOT reload at the next sync.