A couple Mac newbie questions (.dmg files and Little Snitch)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Audio Blood, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Audio Blood macrumors member

Hey! So I'm still getting used to my new iMac and have a couple of questions.

Once I've installed an app, iWork for example, can I delete the .dmg file? Or is that what's running it? It's labeled iWork09Trial.dmg

Might be a silly question but I don't know if this .dmg is now a copy of the app since I installed it, or if that's still the app itself. I just don't want to accumulate too much clutter. Thank you!

One more, I installed Little Snitch a few days ago because it was recommended, I then decided I wanted to delete it and simply dragged any Little Snitch files I saw into the trash and emptied it, but some components are still lingering (like the meter on the top toolbar of my desktop). I don't think that was the right way to go about deleting a program. Is there any way to find all files associated with it? Should I reinstall it altogether (will it even override the existing files?) then do a proper uninstall?

Any/all help is appreciated :).

Edit - Ooh one more. Is there a way to get to extras on Skype? Like the games, mainly. I can't find them D:. I was surprised to find Skype, Yahoo messenger, etc. so minimal compared to the Windows versions. Like, I can't seem to even change the color of my font on Yahoo. Anyway, just mainly asking about the extras :).

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Yes, you can delete the .dmg after installation

2. Download the Little Snitch .dmg and open it, it gives you an option to uninstall it properly

3. Audio Blood thread starter macrumors member

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

5. shwc macrumors regular

To remove the meter from your menubar...
    Command click on the meter and drag it off of the menu bar.
    It will go away in a poof of smoke.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For some apps like Little Snitch it's better use the included uninstaller because AppCleaner just hunts for library files :) If no uninstaller included, then it's time for AppCleaner :cool:

7. Audio Blood thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I downloaded app cleaner to begin with but didn't see Little Snitch on it (this was before I moved it to the trash can the first time). The uninstaller worked :).

8. mac2x macrumors 65816

Yep, you can remove dmg files once you've installed the app. You have to eject the image first though, because it mounts just like a physical drive.

9. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

dmg is a virtual drive. Compare it with a real hard drive with the installer on it. You can plug it out whenever you're done.

The difference is that some programs require to be installed. Afterwards you can just remove the dmg file. But some programs don't need to be installed and just run. When you forget to copy the program to your hard drive, the virtual drive has to remain mounted.

10. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, AppCleaner (like AppZapper) mostly only removes the app, crash reports and .plist files. There are many instances where there are other files/folders in the Library folders that it fails to remove.

12. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

AppZapper

I use AppZapper to completely remove applications.

Works great!