A couple of my relatives called me from the UK...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Apr 4, 2008.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

and British Columbia on my iPhone last month and the calls showed up on my AT&T bill at $0.20 per minute for BC and $0.44 per minute from the UK. Does that sound about right for international "incoming" calls? :eek::confused:

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

If you don't have any international plan, then yes I think so?

3. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Why would he need an international plan for incoming international calls?

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I think it's because regardless of whether it is incoming or outgoing, it still is international.

5. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's correct "Zwhaler" 'cause I did call them back, on my iPhone and the charges were also posted to my AT&T bill. :cool:

6. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

That doesn't seem to make sense. If they called him then they're paying for it on their end and now he's paying for it on his end too? If someone receives a call on a landline from the UK they aren't billed for the call. It merely terminated there. The person placing the calls bears the weight of the bill. If this were true, according to the per minute charges on the AT&T international country calculator, someone could slam you for as much as $5 a minute but simply misdialing to your phone.

I just looked at the AT&T Wireless international FAQ's and Quick Reference guide and it says nothing anywhere about fees related to receiving calls. Everything stated is specific to placing calls whether it be while in another country or from the US. The Terms and Conditions on the WorldConnect page states "International long distance rates from the U.S., only apply for calls placed when using AT&T's wireless network." There is nothing in the terms and conditions about received calls.

Edited once again:

Ah, but I did find this on the AT&T Wireless support forums:

7. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I'm pretty sure here in the UK the caller pays for the entire call, isnt it illegal for phone companies to charge the recipient? The call-ee shouldn't pay anything. Thats what reverse charge is for.

8. trs23 macrumors member

This happened to my mother in law as well. Her BF lives in BC candada and she's on sprint. She got tagged for .15/minute whenever he called her cell!

Sounds like a standard practice for wireless. I agree it doesn't make any sense.

9. Snips macrumors regular

In the US, mobile users are charged for incoming calls too.

In the UK (and Europe in general, I believe], mobile users are not charged for incoming calls.

One of the rare situations where UK is in a better situation.

10. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Dang, relatives in foreign countries! I've asked them to stop calling and stick to emailing if they want to remain my "Family!" (Just kidding) Yep, AT&T has a longstanding policy that they charge for international calls whether "initiating" or "receiving" the call or calls. My previously stated charges are pretty much the standard for wireless international rates. I could see if we had talked for an hour or two, that the bill would have been "shocking" but as it turned out each call was about $3-$4 USD. It's just the first time I had seen a charge for incoming and outgoing calls, that weren't for 411 (information/operator assisted calls). Thanks for all of insight. :cool: