Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenny1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
hello

I am still using iPhone 4S but I want a new phone, probably 6 Plus, in the meanwhile I have to backup the important contents, that include SMS message, contacts as well as the 'Notes'.

I have gone to the setting of iCloud in my iPhone but it looks like there is no such option to backup the SMS message??

Thank you!

EngYpT

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
why don't you use iTunes to backup all your data includes accounts !?
it's called Encrypted Backup

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There might not be separate controls for some things, but core things like messages and the like are automatically included in the iCloud backup.

kenny1999

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2012
How to backup using iTunes?

Does the iTunes backup include SMS message and ''Notes''??

Thank you. Please let me know.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How to backup using iTunes?

Does the iTunes backup include SMS message and ''Notes''??

Thank you. Please let me know.

Attach the phone to your computer over USB. Then open iTunes and select the device and go to the summary tab. Checkmark the encrypted box in my screenshot then click backup now. That will save everything including all your password to iTunes. Then when you get the new phone during setup tell it you want to restore from an iTunes backup and follow the prompts.

That will bring everything you want over to the new phone.

y4WRDGl.png

ebiggs

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
California
There might not be separate controls for some things, but core things like messages and the like are automatically included in the iCloud backup.

C DM is correct. iCloud backups include your text messages. It's just not an option that you can turn off so you don't see it in the list. I've restored many a' device with iCloud backups and I've always seen text messages come back.

But it's never a bad idea to do a iTunes back up as well. :)

This article talks about the data that gets back up for both back up methods, with further links on how to do those back ups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.