A couple of questions from a newb conisdering switching

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gotjack, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Gotjack macrumors newbie

Hi there just a few questions for the forum

1) Im wanting to purchase a macbook pro 13 inch from a seller in Hull. They can't sell me applecare apparently. Is this a bit dodgy or is this standard?

2) if i do purchase it from them, can i go online and JUST purchase applecare from apple directly? (p.s im a student so would be purchasing it at the reduced

3)I saw a thread that mentioned something about cleaning the thermal paste and blowing out the dust. Can you option the current generation macbook pros up and do this? i question this as i live in a very dusty student house, and knowing my pc gets dusty easily, how easy an operation will cleaning my macbook be?

Cheers guys,

ps- note that i didnt mention your thoughts on when the refresh is coming out ;)

2. simsaladimbamba

1) and 2): Apple Care can be purchased separately within the first year of the original purchase of the Mac. It can be bought at any trusted source.

3): Yes >>> http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/Mac

3. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

You said you were from Hull, as you're in the UK, and therefore the EU, any electronic device sold within the EU, must include a warranty of at least 2 years.

So for the first 2, I'd say no.

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'm afraid this just isn't the case. I can understand you thinking that, there is a lot of incorrect information about this flying around.

I don't think Applecare is worth it, but I don't want people thinking that they have a two year warranty automatically because they live in the EU either. It is much more complex than that!

(I believe I stumbled on you saying this before?! I'm not stalking honest!)

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

The "Sale of Goods Act" in the UK provides a degree of protection before and after the 12 months manufacturer warranty however it is in no way the same as a warranty.
    You would have to prove the fault was inherent to the product at the time of purchase.

In theory you could go back after 5 years and claim the goods could reasonably be expected to work for that period but the onus will be on you to prove this.

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

That was kind of my point. The EU directive made only small changes to the SOGA, and it is not the same as a warranty as you mentioned. People get hung up on the "at the time of purchase" part, but it isn't really an obstacle.

Key thing is that the burden of proof may be on the purchaser, but the standard of proof is only "on balance of probabilities", so 51% will do. Much easier, especially if you go in with a young child on crutches and the other side is the seller with big lawyers in shiny suits! ;)