A couple of questions re. guns and mass casualty events

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chiefsilverback, Feb 28, 2018.

?

Have you ever used your gun(s) in self-defence

1. Yes - pulled the trigger

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Yes - drawn weapon

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  3. Yes - told attacker I'm armed

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. No - never used my gun(s) in self-defence

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  5. No - I've never been in a situation where I needed to

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  6. No - but there was this time I wished I'd had a gun on me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No - I don't own a gun and I've never felt like one would have helped

25 vote(s)
    49.0%
  1. chiefsilverback, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018

chiefsilverback macrumors 6502

Ok, so there's all the rhetoric about guns but it's often driven by emotion so I'm trying to be objective. To that end I've got two questions:

1. See the poll - have you ever been in a situation where having a gun helped?
    2. Excluding documented terrorist attacks (Charlie Hebdo, Arianna Grande, Nice, Bataclan etc...) can you provide examples of mass-casualty events like Parkland, Aurora, Vegas, Charleston etc... in what we would consider peer countries, e.g. western/first world/democracy like UK, France, Australia, Canada etc...

EDIT - I realised I missed an option: "No - but I know someone who has"

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

"No - I've never been in a situation where I needed to"

And I'm very thankful that this is the case.

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I've been in one clear situation (at Customs) that if I had a gun, I probably would have drawn. Looking back I am so glad I didn't. Now (post 9/11) I believe all Canadian officers are armed. It may get you more respect (in a 'I'm capable of taking your life right now.' kind of way) but it ups the danger too...

I understand my situation was very different from most people, but it forced me to take a different tack and I'm glad it didn't escalate to that point.

4. chiefsilverback thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that because you felt threatened, or you had reached the end of your tether having stood in line for an hour! ;)

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

From what he said, I think @Raid may have been on the other side of the counter.

6. chiefsilverback thread starter macrumors 6502

Regarding my second question, I know of the following:

• Two school shootings in Germany
    • One, maybe two school knife attacks in Chinese schools
    • 20+ people killed by 10 'terrorists' armed with knives in China
    • Massacre in Norway

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

As a civilian no but then I don't keep guns at hand so it'd be kinda tough

8. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I have told a possible attacker that I’m armed while holding my 9mm in hand. In short, the man was banging on my front door screaming aggressively to open the door. I yelled through my front window for him to get the f*** off my property and that I was armed. He left, we called the cops and he was taken into custody about 10 min later. We we’re not the first ones that called the sheriff department on him that night.

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I felt threatened by a man who claimed to be armed but wasn't going to surrender his weapon. Really he was just angry about driving all day, probably a long wait at the border too, and facing the choice between giving up on his trip or his gun.

I wish I had a counter, there would have been more distance between him and I!

10. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Probably not going to get much people outside the US, since they're so heavily regulated for civilian use, unless they're in law enforcement.

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

This is pretty true; up here if you're walking around carrying you're either a LEO or a 'bad guy' (at home might be a different circumstance though). If you subscribe to the 'good guys with guns' theory of crime deterrent; why are violent crimes not through the roof in those countries?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2018 ---
    Did you ever find out if he was just nuts, in need of help or up to no good?

12. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

A lot of it is gang related violence. The breakdown of stable families "fatherless". Chicago is ripe with gun violence, yet the city is very restrictive. The Dems don't focus on the family, single mom crisis and gang violence. They just blame the NRA and Indiana for the guns getting into the city.

13. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Being a professional hitman and part time navy seal I went with A.

14. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

LOL, Government hitman? That's some Tom Clancy stuff man.

15. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

His works are based on actual events you know.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I haven't, but I possible wouldn't have a mother and I wouldn't have been born if she didn't.

Father is drafted in 1971, mother is by herself (neither my sister nor I are born yet). Someone steals their 1970 dodge charger off the driveway. 2 weeks later they attempt to break in to her house. Cops feel they were scouting the house and noticed only a woman ever came and went (easy pickings). My fathers .357 and one shot (which missed) is what caused them to do a U-turn and head the other direction. If she doesn't have that gun there's nothing from stopping them.

17. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

I'll remember to keep on your good side. Don't want to be walking down an alley one night and greeted with a hush puppy.:eek:

18. chiefsilverback thread starter macrumors 6502

If I'd know I'd have included an option for you.. "I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you" ;)

19. 0007776 Suspended

The Democrats certainly ignore some aspects of the issue unfortunately the Republicans just put their heads in the sand and pretend that there isn’t a problem, and if there is it can be solved by more guns.

In reality it is a multi faceted issue. We need stronger national gun laws so that people can’t just take them from a state that has weak gun laws to one with strict laws. We also need to focus on mental health, particularly access to mental healthcare. Also we need to give law enforcement tools to deal with people who are flagged as a risk before they snap and shoot up a school. Another area that we could work on is not forcing our schools to take the place of parents. We need to raise the minimum wage so that a married couple can have one parent be a stay at home parent if they want and actually raise their kids, or so that a single parent family can get by with that parent working just one full time job so they can be with their kids in the evening.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Been stabbed (not in a life threatening way, but still...) when I was 10. I am glad I did not have a gun.

21. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Those are Democratically controlled districts. It's up to Democrats to fix those issues, not Repubs.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I once defended my home with a cheap Chinese butcher knife.

23. chiefsilverback thread starter macrumors 6502

Whilst the access to healthcare is possibly a uniquely American issue, single parent/broken families certainly isn't, but again it doesn't manifest itself mass murder in other other countries.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 28, 2018 ---
    Did the cheap Chinese butcher know you had his knife?

24. 0007776 Suspended

Those other countries have also dealt with a lot of the other underlying issues. As well as you don’t hear much in Europe about single parent families having to work two jobs to make ends meet, one full time job is enough.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Why do you think he was in my house?