A couple of questions reguarding Keynote and Office

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I'm just wondering is Keynotes compatible with MS Powerpoint? and where can I download Neooffice and is Neoffice compatible with MS office products? thanks

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Keynote can import/export PPT files, although not all of the animations, transitions, and exact formatting will be preserved. For simple presentations it's pretty seamless, but for more complicated stuff it's not ideal.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I tried saving something in keynote but I couldnt open it in Powerpoint do I have to save it as something different?

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
viccles said:
I tried saving something in keynote but I couldnt open it in Powerpoint do I have to save it as something different?
Yep. In Keynote you have the option to export a variety of file types, Flash, Quicktime, and Powerpoint. Choose PPT and you're on your way.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Sweet I tried downloading openoffice or whatever and It says I need something about X11 which sounds too complicated for me. I want a word processor that is not MS office (which takes a million years to load) but is similiar in functions etc and has compatibility with it? am I dreaming?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Did you try searching google for neooffice?

NeoOffice supports MS Office documents the same way that Openoffice and Keynote does. You need to select it as an option when exporting/importing. It will work fine most of the time, but some details may change when you do it. It's not quite 100% compatible, but almost.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
viccles said:
Sweet I tried downloading openoffice or whatever and It says I need something about X11 which sounds too complicated for me. I want a word processor that is not MS office (which takes a million years to load) but is similiar in functions etc and has compatibility with it? am I dreaming?
If you have Keynote then you also have Pages, correct? I'd recommend trying that out as an alternative to MS Word. If you're used to Office, there's a bit of a learning curve, but you can open and save files in .doc format.