A couple of silly questions for you who have the watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jabingla2810, May 4, 2015.

1. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Forgive my noob questions, but I've had some (too much) time to think about the watch while it wait for it to arrive.

How does the following work?

If I set an alarm or timer on the watch, then open the clock app on my phone are those timers or alarms set on my phone?

EG: If I use SIRI to countdown 10 minutes on the watch, will the countdown timer be active on my iPhone lock screen, like it is if I set it on my phone?

What about the thee way around, setting a timer on my iPhone, will that appear in the timer app on the watch?

Similar questions for Maps.

If I start navigation on my iPhone (because it's easier to search for places) will that navigation continue on my Watch? Or do I need to start the navigation on my Watch to see it there?

Can't wait to get this thing myself! :)

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Navigation does continue on your watch when you set it on your phone, and it is awesome.

Not sure about the timer questions. Will test it now!

3. blackbear219 macrumors regular

No, the timer and alarms don't come across. This is because both the watch and the phone have their own timer/alarm applications and they aren't "sharing" one app like a lot of the apps do.

I had a problem with this the other day. I told Siri on my watch to "wake me up at 8:30" and then I wanted to take my watch off to charge it. I wouldn't have gotten the alarm. I had to create the alarm on my phone "manually" instead.

I haven't messed with the navigation yet. I think my wife told me that she started a route on her phone and it automatically came up on her watch, but don't hold me to it.

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Ok, I just started the timer on the watch and it is not on the phone. So, no, that doesn't come across.

One thing I do when I want a notification on both phone and watch is to set a reminder. Reminders DO go from phone to watch and back again.

5. jabingla2810 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the reply.

I suspected this would be the case, I'll have to be careful to carry on setting alarms on my phone then.

Don't suppose you can say "Set Alarm for 6am on my iPhone?"

6. susan12369 macrumors 6502

I have to disagree with the earlier response regarding alarms (perhaps not disagree, but clarify). I have a daily alarm in the morning to remind me to take my pills, and I get a notification on both my watch and my iphone. The alarm was setup long ago on my iphone, I didn't do anything to set it up on the watch.

I can dismiss the alarm on my watch, and that also dismisses it on my iphone.

7. jabingla2810 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks very much for testing this!

8. blackbear219 macrumors regular

I tried that. Nope. It creates an alarm on the watch for 6am titled "on my iPhone" :eek::D

9. flur macrumors 68000

I'm curious about the reminders as there's no app for them on the watch. Are you saying "remind me at x time" when you create the reminder, so that you get the reminder notification on the watch?

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yep. "Hey Siri, remind me to go play on MacRumors at 1:30pm on Tuesday."

Reminder goes into the reminder app on the phone, and alerts on the watch. Also, any reminders you create on the phone will alert on the watch if you aren't using the phone at the time.

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

timer works both wasy

I have created a timer on the iphone before and it alerts on the watch.. so at least that way works.

And I think another poster above said it worked from the watch TO the iphone.

12. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

I have tested the alarm today without my iPhone on to make sure it works independently. It will work without the iPhone. One thing you have to be careful is to not leave it on silent mode. It will silent the alarm but the taptic engine still works. If you want to make sure you are awake when you need to, make sure the mute is off.

It's not that loud. For me, I don't care, I wake up easily. For heavy sleepers, you'll be in trouble.