a couple questions about the virgin mobile iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by makleod, Jul 26, 2012.

1. makleod macrumors newbie

I recently dropped my AT&T iPhone 4 in a puddle of water and now it's not working correctly. It's time to buy a new iPhone and I'm not exactly sure what to do. The Virgin Mobile iPhone seems like a great deal, but I am worried about the 3g speeds (I live in Sacramento, CA). Does anyone have any experience with the CDMA Virgin iPhone so far? My AT&T iPhone would only get 2mbps on average.

Also, I keep hearing you can't unlock the VM iPhone, but then I see this website:

http://virginmobile.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/155/~/unlocking-your-apple-iphone

Seems like they'll unlock it right away? Anyway, I'd really like to avoid paying $80 a month on the big three carriers. Open to suggestions...

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Virgin mobile USA will not unlock the iPhone. The website you posted is for Australia!

3. makleod thread starter macrumors newbie

damnit! I didn't see a .au or .co.uk suffix, so I assumed it was USA. Oh well, still interested on hearing about Virgin Mobile 3g speeds (anyone in the Sacramento area)?

4. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

I cant speak for the area your in, but in general CDMA will be slower then ATTs GSM network. So no matter what it will be slower for sure.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I was a VM customer for five years and wanted an iPhone but decided to switch to Straight Talk instead.

I live in Chico and while I was satisfied with call quality, data speeds on my android phone were abysmal. I don't know if Sacramento would be any faster and I doubt it would make much difference on an iPhone.

An additional concern of mine was having the phone unlocked for use in Europe or Canada. I emailed VM and they replied to me that they won't unlock the phone, there are services that will do it but VM won't guarantee that they will work. That was a big turnoff for me. Why should I pay full price for an iPhone with no contract and have it permanently locked?

VM is $30 a month and ST is $45 so there isn't a huge difference in price but ATT's network is much larger. I liked VM but in the end, they just didn't measure up.