A Curious Thought: Camera Lifespan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by topocalypse, Oct 11, 2012.

1. topocalypse macrumors member

Hi, I just have this curious thought.

How long would the iPhone 4S camera last?
    You know, with DSLRs, you have shutter counts of around 10000-100000 shots, depending on how expensive they are.

With the iPhone, there is no moving parts? (am I right?) in the camera. In theory, should it break after certain amount of shots?

After a year, I've taken over 1500 shots. I would believe it should take 10000+ shots to break the camera. What do you guys think? Just a curious thought.

P.S. I. I've taken over 20 hours of 1080p video on it. The quality is awesome!
    P.S. II. This post is for an interesting discussions. If you are going to say "don't worry about it" then don't bother. I'm not having a problem or worries about my iPhone. All I want is a discussion for my curious mind.:apple:

2. RRutter macrumors 6502

As you said, the iPhone's camera has no moving parts so I'd suspect it can survive through hundreds of thousands of "shots" before breaking down. If not that, then more.. Interesting thought though. In theory, EVERYTHING breaks.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

My guess is is that there are plenty of other parts that will catastrophically fail on your iPhone 5 before the camera comes close to its end of life. That, or you'll have long upgraded, maybe even a few times, before it becomes an issue.

4. RRutter macrumors 6502

I think the battery would quit holding charge long before the camera would quit working; I'd even imagine the charger port having a shorter life then the camera.