A Day Without a Woman'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 7, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/news/day-without-woman-anti-donald-162000643.html
    have fun ladies.

2. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

how so? they are seemingly staying home :p

4. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Oh, the horror!

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I am the only man here, and most likely the only conservative person.
    I guess that tomorrow I can sleep at my desk, finally!

6. Zenithal Suspended

Meanwhile Melania is gathering the numbers of all the off license shops to give to her security entourage to sneak her in some future much needed drink.

7. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

I want to speak with the man in charge of this outrage!

They should do this in Saudi Arabia.

8. Altis macrumors 68020

Well the bad news is facets of healthcare and schools might be affected.

The good news is that the electricity, natural gas, drinking water, sewage, air conditioning, heating, air ventilation, building facilities, most police/security, fire, food production, product/food delivery, shipping, road maintenance, vehicle maintenance/roadside assistance, fuel delivery, construction, building repair, I.T. services, telephone/internet, etc...

... will all be unaffected by the woman's strike.

Sure hope they have a unified cause this time round rather than vaguely "fighting for rights!" that cannot be named.

9. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

I was curious about this day so I researched it on google and came across this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/03/06/day-without-woman-what-you-need-know/98690692/

---
    From their website: https://www.womensmarch.com/womensday/

So ... the point of this is to show the impact women have on the socio-economic system, but apparently they are posing women as shopping addicts? Yes, it can be read as supporting the small, women and minority owned businesses, but then I think it would be more appropriate if phrased as "Shop only at small, women- and minority-owned businesses". But when it's phrased as avoiding X, except at Y, Z, and W ... it looks weak. Why just one day? How does not shopping for one day really affect a business that doesn't support something like equal pay for example?

Anyway, as a disclaimer - I support women's rights, equality, etc. I just can't wrap my head around such a movement.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I wonder what the folks who pay property taxes in those counties and who have kids at those schools who work full time and now have to find day care or lose a days pay think. Imagine a "day without doctors" to protest the ACA. How well would that have gone over?

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Looking at who the organizers are, and considering the intellectual competency of the eager beaver participants--or lack thereof--I'd opt for at least a week if not a month.

One can but hope.

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

You never disappoint with your stereotyping.

14. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Says the guy who pretends
    Cops
    Whites
    Priest
    The NRA
    Gun owners
    Are all the same

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

My mother is a surgeon and one of her surgical techs went on strike during the immigrant strike. It created some issues not surprisingly first thing in the morning when surgery is starting and staff is missing. They ended up firing the woman because she did not give notice of her absence, find someone to cover, etc. (Apparently she had other issues that contributed to the decision). Employers may be sympathetic to the cause, but its not fair not to give notice you won't be showing up for work- especially in critical jobs like healthcare. I don't blame employers for firing no-call no-showers.

I asked my mom if she'll be striking. She's a strong woman and well accomplished orthopedic surgeon (basically one of the pioneering woman in the field, it's still not a common profession of younger MD's). She is not striking and has decided to show her worth to society by continuing her work.

My hospital didn't have any issues with the immigrant strike that I'm aware of... we'll see how the woman's strike goes.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Well hell you make me look like a duffer so your comment should include yourself huh? At least I don't do it about women like some I won't name.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't understand the protest women make up 50% of the populace, no one contests having 50% of a potential workforce stay home isn't going to cause issues, so I struggle to see what they are trying to prove here. Sounds more like an excuse to cause problems and stay home from work.

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I don't get this protest.
    In 15 years that I have been working, across two continents and in multiple multicultural projects, both in private and public sector, I have yet to find someone that believes that women are not extremely valuable to the workplace.

20. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

That was the point. Carry on, get a funny bone if possible.

21. unlinked macrumors 6502a

There is a lot of group think to it. If people are repeatedly told something they tend to believe it.

I frequently hear women talk about the pay gap but they seem kinda oblivious to the fact there isn't a gender pay gap in Ireland. Not the one they claim anyway. Women with children make less than men. Women with none make more. It is fairly clearly a childcare gap not a gender gap. Italy has a small gender gap for women with or without children but strangely it is lower for those with children. The Italian pay gap it much smaller than Sweden but I rarely hear people saying something positive about gender equality in Italy verses Sweden.

http://www.activecharts.org/share/58860e383bd40245e2dd3c714910916f

22. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

This is just asinine. I'm in IT, a male, and love having women around. At no point has a decision ever been made where because they were a woman, it was decided they were to be paid less. At no point was a decision made where because they were a woman, they were passed over for a promotion.

I have to wonder how much money these "organizers" are making off of these protests. Not by people just showing up, obviously, but by donations being sent in. I've never seen so much protesting. Quite frankly, it seems like a war against white men. Tell you what, go work, make what I make in salary, and I'll be MORE THAN HAPPY to stay home, clean the house, take care of the kids, cook meals and in my spare time play with my gadgets, go have a drink with the men, etc. Women still get to give birth though, I'm not much for that LOL!

23. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Hmm......

Perhaps men should get in on this. But why settle for a day???

Give them a decade (or 2 or 3) without men. And let's see how big the women's movement is in about 20 years.

Without men, there's going to be fewer females. Remember it takes two to...."

If men walked out and pulled the plug and yanked the wires on everything they pass on their way out the door, it's going to get interesting. Just change the orbit of the satellites, destroy all the servers, take down the Internet, dismantle the power grid. And walk away.

Let the women have their shops. The men can finally go off somewhere in peace, set up some stills to brew our drinks, and play football or lounge around all day.

Without trying to satisfy women's needs, without worrying about expectations, without doing all the grunt work and dirty jobs, the men can enjoy a few decades of relaxation.

Let the women figure out how to run all the stuff they need to maintain their level of comfort and convenience.

Should be interesting.

Now... I'm not saying that all women are incapable of designing, building, and operating the technology they are enjoying and maintaining their modern lifestyles. But, it should be readily apparent that there aren't enough women already educated in every area of industry to keep everything running smoothly if every single man just refused to work or lift a finger to help do anything.

Simply put, if all men disappeared and took an extended vacation, the women would be scrambling to find enough women skilled in the right areas to keep everything running smoothly.

We're not far enough removed from the years where men ran everything and women stayed home, to find men incapable of continuing business as usual without women in the workforce.

But, there are fewer women than men who have been willing or interested in doing the manual labor jobs, learning the mechanical industries, learning and working in the electrical engineering and other nerd tech jobs, etc. So women will have a lot of catching up to do if they suddenly had to fill every job in the nation without a single man in the workforce.

Or, women and men could simply agree that it does take both to populate this world (producing both men and women), and that women and men deserve equal respect.

Men shouldn't cower to women or feel that women are any more essential than men.

A national walkout day is ridiculous. Go ahead and extend your walkout for a week, a month, a year, etc. I bet all you'll find is that suddenly fewer men will be unemployed, and the women will find themselves jobless and relying on a man for money, food, shelter, and of course the apparently vital shopping trips.

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

In some workplaces they are of course essential. In some of the places I have worked, not so much.

That being said women are of course just as necessary as men. And I don't think Trump has ever said that they aren't essential. So I guess I don't understand this protest.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

But that's everywhere, for everyone.
    Someone is essential, someone is not.

As for my personal experience, yesterday a supervisor came back from maternity (about a month and a half in which we struggled to make sure that she was in the loop etc). First thing in the morning: she gave her two weeks notice. I was appalled.