A decent Windows/PC commercial; this little girl sells more PCs than Seinfeld

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cleanup, Apr 10, 2009.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I don't know if most people have already seen this, but instead of airing Laptop Hunters and multi-million dollar confusing episodes with Jerry Seinfeld, Microsoft should just continually air this ad 24/7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhre2C4THT4

It's cute, it's effective, and it probably didn't cost much to make. There's a few other ones (all centered around photo sharing or creating a photo slideshow) with other kids but if they just had Kylie here perform a few more tasks on her PC laptop, they just sold several million Vista laptops. Microsoft has done a few things right with their marketing; they just need to learn to identify what those things are and focus on them.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I always found these cute kid commercials very annoying.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

"Now you stupid little brat, I told you a thousand times not to touch my computer. Look what you have done, I worked all day on that spreadsheet! That's it, no desert for a week!" :D

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Do you watch Apple commercials and get offended when the actors say "I'm a Mac"? Because that's a lie - he's obviously a human being, and not a computer. And I'm sure you got a Capital One card because you were afraid that otherwise hordes of angry barbarians would chase you through the streets, right? :rolleyes:

It's a commercial. If you believe everything you see in a commercial is 100% true, then you are an idiot.

---

I've never been a fan of ads that feature kids. It always seems like they're exploiting the kids while making an obvious and deliberate attempt to tug the heartstrings, and I don't find them very effective as a result. The Microsoft one was kind of cute, though, and I certainly think it's a better campaign than Seinfield.

7. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Actually, I think the kid is rather cute compared to other commercials that feature small children. I can't stand the Welch grape juice commercials with the kids but for some reason, I find this kid not as annoying. *shrugs*

Yes, it does try to pull on your heartstrings and use emotions to try and sell the product, but it's a commercial after all.

8. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Certainly not as annoying as the Seinfeld ones or the Laptop Hunters? I actually think it's a rather good ad. I know that the child probably didn't do much except pose for the camera and smile, but it made me feel better about PCs than Seinfeld did. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I find the "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads annoying. John Hodgman is a funny guy, but the acting seems so forced. Justin Long is a funny guy too, but aside from the production values, you'd think some of the I'm a Mac commercials were made by a crappy high school drama club, with Long's awkward "uhh"s, "umm"s and canned lines spewing gold about Apple and Macs. I'm liking the Kylie commercial a lot more.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Yup - the Welch commercials were exactly what I had in mind. What is it about those ads that makes me never, ever want to drink Welch?

This one is better... the acting seems more genuine (even if it isn't). But (and I'm paraphrasing), "people don't like to feel like they're being manipulated when they're being manipulated"! And with these (and any ad with cute kids) I always know I'm being manipulated... bleh.