A Democratically Elected Vice President

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, May 28, 2019.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Just heard about this organization and it's mission. Interesting idea. I don't think it would ever get put on the floor/passed. Pretty sure both parties would prefer to roll the dice with their ticket vs splitting it.

https://vice.run/about/

Excerpt from the website:
    Vice.run grows from a kernel of an idea: “All the ills of democracy can be cured by more democracy” and that the vice presidency is an undemocratic anomaly in American politics. It’s an extremely important elected office whose occupant we do not choose.

Mikel & David launched vice.run to “act anew” to fix this anomaly and reinstate the vice presidency as a democratically elected position. Vice.run’s goal is to create a vice presidential ballot line in the 2020 election in all 50 states.

Since national elections are managed at the state-level, we have state-level goals and are growing our state-level operations. Our very first organizing effort is collecting ballot-access pledges calling on states to create a separate ballot line for the vice president.

2. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This seems like a pointless exercise. The founding fathers discovered very quickly that it was a big mistake to permit the President and Vice President to potentially be political opponents from different parties, and I fail to see the benefit of direct election of the Vice President.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

guessing you guys are seeing the writing on the wall, it's trump 2020.

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Huh? Who is "you guys" ?

I just heard about the website and thought it was interesting. This isn't about the President anyway. It's about the VP lol

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

you obviously are not going to elected the next POTUS so you guys want to settle for electing the VP............. so yes it's about trump.....

6. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Again - who is you guys. This isn't my organization. So who is this you guys?

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

republicans/conservatives are going to vote trump..............only one major group left............................

8. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Based on their web site, I think the people behind this are either idiots or running a scam. They argue that this wouldn’t require a Constitutional amendment, but they ignore the fact that there is only one set of electors picked from each state. Unless you expect Republican electors to vote for a Democratic VP candidate (or vice versa), this will have no effect on who gets elected VP.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

dumb. it would be interesting to have a mandatory D/R split with POTUS/VP...it would make those tickets pretty interesting.

10. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

Only one president ran with a member of the opposite party as his running mate. A cross party ticket, if you will, and they won.

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The VP isn't elected? Since when? The POTUS/VP is a package deal. Having the wrong VP can torpedo a candidate's Presidency run. Just ask John McCain, or Papa Bush in his bid for a second term (I blame Dan "Potatoe" Quayle for Papa Bush losing to Bubba).

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think the best way to let the people have a say in who the VP should be is to make the second place finisher in the primary automatically be that Party's VP candidate.