A Depressing Drug Review.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

A review of anti-depressant drugs in the UK came to the conclusion that the drugs work but that up to six times the people currently taking them should be on them.

My view is that occasionally everyone gets depressed and that drugs should only be proscribed for the worst cases. I wonder if the reviewers have some connections to the drug companies.

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

My professional opinion: First off, it’s important to understand that most other countries other than the US, including the UK, prescribe antidepressants at a far lower rate. A lot of countries actually have a black market for antidepressants as they are not easy to prescribe. The US rate is around 11/100 people while the UK is more like 7/100 people.

I think the greater issue here is that not enough people are necessarily getting treatment for depression- which doesn’t necessarily mean antidepressants. In fact, in most cases therapy is a better solution and I personally hate to see people taking antidepressants without psychiatric medicine. This study, which I have not read in detail yet, may over estimate the amount of depression that will resolve itself with time.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Fun with arithmetic: 6 times 7% is 42% (nearly half).

Even more fun: 6 times 11% is 66% (nearly 2 out of 3).

I could use a beer about now.

4. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I hope so. Just my opinion but I think that doctors over prescribe all medication.

5. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I don’t disagree.

6. jerwin macrumors 68020

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32802-7/fulltext

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg