Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krisjon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
I've been poking around looking for a bag to carry my new 17" PB that's coming this Thursday. Just curious if anyone has seen these or maybe has one? A buddy of mine that went to MacWorld saw them and thought they were pretty cool and very different from the other messenger/business styled ones out there + it will hold a 17".

http//www.axio-usa.com

krisjon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
krisjon said:
I've been poking around looking for a bag to carry my new 17" PB that's coming this Thursday. Just curious if anyone has seen these or maybe has one? A buddy of mine that went to MacWorld saw them and thought they were pretty cool and very different from the other messenger/business styled ones out there + it will hold a 17".

http//www.axio-usa.com

Lots of looks, but no comments on this?

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
axio bag?

Sorry, but that looks way tacky. You'll be ringing up x-ray security at every oulet in New York City.

The shell is PLASTIC, too.
I'd stick with the Apple-endorsed 17" Brenthaven. It's pricey, but solid, functional, etc. Also, if anything ever goes wrong with it, you can hold Brenthaven AND Apple accountable.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
djkny said:
Sorry, but that looks way tacky. You'll be ringing up x-ray security at every oulet in New York City.

The shell is PLASTIC, too.
I'd stick with the Apple-endorsed 17" Brenthaven. It's pricey, but solid, functional, etc. Also, if anything ever goes wrong with it, you can hold Brenthaven AND Apple accountable.

I have a Tom Bihn Monolith that I used for over a year with my TiBook in my backpack. It's cheap ($40) and goes vertically in a backpack, so it's good for students. After I graduated I needed a more professional look, so I got the Tom Bihn Empire Builder. I highly recommend either of these solutions, although the Empire Builder was about $200 with the insert for my laptop and the Absolute shoulder strap. Both are very sturdy protection for you laptop, which is held in a sling-style holder inside a rigid sided case. In the Empire Builder, the laptop case clips into the briefcase and can be removed if you need the space or if you don't need your laptop that day. The removed laptop case is plenty sturdy enough to carry on it's own when you need the room in your briefcase, or when you are going light with just the laptop. An all-around excellent solution.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
airbag craftworks..

when i was in germany last month i stopped in at vinyl record shop and saw on display some VERY stylish modern bags. They are called Air Bags.
http://www.airbagcraftworks.com they are pretty pricey, especially if you are american (the prices are in euro's), but they are also very stylish.

They are made out of recycled material (usually some sort of inflatable material, hence the name airbag) like air-boats, military hovercraft tubing, inner tubing, etc. Hand sewn, and not at a sweat-shop

Have a look at their site, go to the online airshop to see the available models. The good (and bad) thing is that each bag is unique in that because it is made out of recycled material, no 2 bags are alike and the company makes sure that no 2 bags are alike. The bad part is if you see a bag they have made that you like, chances are its the only one that looks like that. They did have one 17" Powerbook "Nerdbag Pro", but it sold pretty quick, i am sure they will make more as materials become available.
The price for that bag , a hefty 178 Euro's.

i myself got one of the "10 inch" bags at that shop in Bremen, Germany. It holds my 12" G4 Powerbook perfectly (the PB is 8.5 inches wide) and most important to me, doesnt look like a laptop bag (stay away thieves!) Now my girlfriend has to have one for her iBook (note to self, never buy a sylish "accessory" accessory in europe without bringing one back for my other half). I payed 85 Euros for that bag. have a look at their site and you will get a better sense of their style.

as they say, "they're all the rage in europe these days" :cool:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I went on a hunt for the perfect 12" PB bag at MacWorld last January. I investigated everything on the floor at least twice, including the Axio. It quickly fell to the bottom of my personal list, if only because it looked like it belonged on the top of my car instead of over my shoulder. I considered bags from Timbuk2 and Crumpler but in end I ordered the Brenthaven bag from Apple when I got back (they were displaying on the floor, but not selling). The Brenthaven is fairly expensive, but seemed very well made compared to some that sell in the same price range, and it was custom made for the PB (the iBook actually).

FWIW, my second choice was the Crumpler. Long on style and short on features for the money, though.

You need to decide if you want a messenger or backpack style bag. That will limit your choices quite a bit.

pclark

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2004
Minnesota
krisjon said:

http//www.axio-usa.com

Those backpacks look pretty sweet. I had been looking at the boblbee bags, but they're too small for a 17". I ended up settling on the Tom Bihn Smart Alec . It's not a hardshell case, but it holds the powerbook and lots of other goodies, and I've been quite happy with it.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I went with the Brenhaven for my PB 17 after going using a Large Waterfield Cargo (messenger style) bag for a few months. The WF bag was great for short term use but after bringing it with me to Europe let me tell you - I never wanted a backpack more. I had the WF bag loaded up with my laptop, external drive, DV camera, etc. and it literally left bruise marks on my shoulder after walking a few miles with it. The PB 17 sleeve also would not fit inside the back "laptop pocket" which was made for a PB 15 - this made me worry about the PB safety. The kind folks at WF offered me a refund no questions asked.

The Brenthaven is not so much on looks but interior pocket-wise and protection wise it's killer and besides, I didn't really need a case that screams out "steal me - I'm an expensive laptop bag."

I have heard very good things about the Tom Bihn bags but I like the fact that Brenthaven bags are sepcifically designed for the PB line. As far as the axio bags go I contacted them because I was concerned that the strapped-in but still exposed laptop might come in contact with stuff in the other side of the bag and scratch the PB. Axio responded saying that there is space in between the compartments - I'm still not sure how much. My other problem with those bags is that they are essentially motorcycle carry cases and believe me - those get scratched to hell with minimal abuse. They do have a cloth covered one that holds camera gear - my fear is that the cloth would eventually tear and expose the plastic underneath.

Backpack - Go Brenthaven or Tom Bihn - you won't be sorry.
Messenger - Go Waterfield

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
FWIW, my TiBook fits perfectly in the Tom Bihn Brain Cell that clips into the Empire Builder (and other bags/packs). I don't know if he designed it specifically for the TiBook or not, but the fit is stellar.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
krisjon said:
http//www.axio-usa.com
I don' care for those at all.. indeed, tacky.

Brenthaven have been the best bag I've seen so far.. which isn't sayin g much. I don't like them at all..

Still looking for the right bag, with texture, style, lots of padding, and enough space for a firewire enclosure...

krisjon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2004
San Diego, CA
Now we're talkin'

This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks, guys.

Honestly though, several of the recommendations are for bags that frankly look like ass! I know the Brenthavens are good bags, but they look like something my Dad would use. The reason I brought up the Axio bags is because it's one of the few bags I've seen recently that has form and function and less of a compromise between the two. I have a Timbuk2 messenger bag that I've had for years and love. I like what they're doing with their laptop bags as well. I guess in the spirit of Apple I'm just looking for something, well, different.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No, the Brenthaven bags aren't visually exciting. But that was a deliberate choice for me, since I'm in business and need something I can carry into a meeting without looking like a college student. I rejected the Timbuk2 bags because to my eye they look a bit too much like camping equipment -- especially the backpack bags with the big rubberized thing on the back. Another consideration is that many of these bags simply aren't finished very well and have features that look good but aren't very functional. My decision was helped a lot by actually holding the bags in my hand, putting them on my shoulder and stuffing some of my gear into them. After all that was said and done, the Brenthaven came out on top. Oh, and I got the blue/black version which isn't nearly so dull as as the all black!

mystixman

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2002
USA
Actually the Axio bags are quite nice. I tried one on full of stuff at MWSF and it felt great. It has a spot for you PB, and looks really cool.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Huh, well when I tried the original URL given, it seems to be redirecting to google.com - kinda odd.

I love my Crumpler bag, and couldn't see my dad using one either. :D Well made, lots of pockets, very nice protection in terms of both padding and versus water (I live in the Pacific Northwest USA, so this is important).

gdavid

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2004
NZ
adamjay said:
when i was in germany last month i stopped in at vinyl record shop and saw on display some VERY stylish modern bags. They are called Air Bags.
http://www.airbagcraftworks.com ........:

Have to add a second recommendation for these bags. I just got a 10 inch one for my 12 inch powerbook. They have heaps of cool, unique designs and the bags are very well constructed and resonably padded although I will be using mine with a sleeve as well.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
gdavid said:
Have to add a second recommendation for these bags. I just got a 10 inch one for my 12 inch powerbook. They have heaps of cool, unique designs and the bags are very well constructed and resonably padded although I will be using mine with a sleeve as well.
those bags are the only ones i have seen that i've really liked in almost a month of looking.
i'm confused about the sizes though, if any one knows which designs will fit a 12" powerbook i'd be really happy.
and thanks to the user who posted that link, it made my day :)

edit:
1. they don't ship to australia :(
2. $250 @!$#$%^$
3. :(

gdavid

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2004
NZ
abc123 said:
those bags are the only ones i have seen that i've really liked in almost a month of looking.
i'm confused about the sizes though, if any one knows which designs will fit a 12" powerbook i'd be really happy.
and thanks to the user who posted that link, it made my day :)

edit:
1. they don't ship to australia :(
2. $250 @!$#$%^$
3. :(

Hi abc123 they should ship to aussie, I just got one shipped to NZ. I would email them, perhaps they have just never had to ship there before so haven't calculated the cost. It was about 27euros to NZ. Yes they are quite expensive but I don't mind paying that much for a one of a kind bag, especially after I paid so much for the computer anyway. About sizes I got a 10inch. The 12inch powerbook measures 21.9 by 27.7 by 3 cm and the bag is 30 by 32 by 12 cm. It has one main internal pocket and a small front pocket that would fit A4 papers then it also has a small internal pocket that would fit an ipod or cellphone or such like. It depends on how much you want to carry in the bag, the only other things I need to carry are my power adaptor and mouse. They do have some powerbook specific ones, the nerdbags, otherwise you just need to look at the measurements they give and estimate how much you need for your powerbook and whatever else you need to carry. If you are unsure about any pockets on any of the bags just email them they were really helpful and prompt in replying to my questions.

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
thanks, i'll still think about them. if i can't find something that costs a little less in a few weeks i'll splash out and get one. they are really the nicest things i've seen in a long time.

zach007

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2004
Arkansas
I got the vertical computer sleeve from llbean.com.. couldn't be happier and it only cost me $23 shipping included. It's simple, got a few pockets, safe for my comp, and fits great in my bag. And $23 was the best part.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
If you looking for style, then I would recemened checking out acmemade.com They have some really cool bags. I have one and like it alot. not much room for anything other than you computer though.

There is also the timbuk2 bags, which have a fair amount of space and a bit of color.

I would agree though, that no one has made the perfect combination of design, style, and storage space. I hope you find something to you liking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.