"A failed attempt at humor."

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, May 17, 2017.

1. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, the surprises just keep rolling in, don't they. A new audio recording has fallen into the hands of, who else, the Washington Post. This one is from way back last year, during the presidential campaign, and involves a discussion between a number of GOP bigwigs. They are discussing the situation in Ukraine, and Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy says something interesting...

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016, exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.​

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...1f359183e8c_story.html?utm_term=.893fba70a0c5

A spokesman for McCarthy has stated that this was "a failed attempt at humor." Could be.

2. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

As a discussion I just watched said, there's a little of kernel of truth there which is why it makes a joke funny. Trump may not actually be on the Russian payroll, but he acts like he is.

3. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Russian banks gave him credits and since the banks are state owned he gets payed by postponing the payback plan :D

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think the unmentioned part of this story is this from Paul Ryan:

And then denying this conversation ever took place until they told him they heard a tape of it. Paul Ryan is so slimy.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I had hopes that Ryan would change Washington and get rid of the slime. Maybe that was his intention but he turned to the dark side really quick.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I think he was always on the dark side to begin with. Too much reading of Ayn Rand books.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

damn. I thought for sure this was a Jkerda thread....

8. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

I wonder what would happen if Ryan gave Trump a copy of the Cliff Notes one-page bullet point list of the main points. Obviously no good could come from it but still, it's a book. Maybe he could learn to grasp compound, complex sentences and learn some new big, beautiful words.

9. HEK Suspended

HEK

He
    would say he invented those words. Remember "prime the pump"......LMAO