A faster Safari and emptying caché .....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by igmolinav, Oct 9, 2008.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

So my Safari has become too slow and it even gets stuck when scrolling down a webpage. Is that because the caché has not been emptied ??

What can make Safari faster and "unstuckable" ???

Thank you,

igmolinav.

P.S. when I say it gets stuck, i mean that the cursor starts spinnig like a little rainbow.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

What type of pages does it do this on? what does activity monitor show for the CPU load? what kinda of computer are you running? which OS? how much RAM? etc. etc.

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

The cache has nothing at all to do with scrolling. It's for speeding up page loads, and clearing it will make things slower if it's functioning correctly.

4. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi Thank you for your messages

Basically what i do is to surf the web and when i enter a page that I like, say photo district news or a newspaper, I start reading and when i scroll down it gets stucked. It started to happen about nine months ago and i just became accustomed to it, but that shouldn't just be, i think.

I am using an ibook G4 (one of the later models) with 512 MB of RAM. It has a 120 GB hard drive.

The activity monitor for safari varies a lot as I have watched it: from 0,7 to 53%

Thank you,

igmolinav.

5. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

A snappier Safari? Try using the nightly builds of the WebKit rendering engine. You can download that here. Then start WebKit - it will leave all your Safari settings, bookmarks, etc., intact. Basically, it launches Safari but switches the rendering engine - the thing that interprets the HTML code.

6. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Oh, and just in case, you may want to repair permissions... (using Disk Utility, in /Applications/Utilities/.

7. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

another +1 to web kit.

8. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your message. What do you mean by "repair permissions.."

and by "(using Disk Utility, in /Applications/Utilities/. "

Does doing the "repairing permissions" have any chance to hurt my ibook in any way ??

Thank you,

igmolinav

9. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Here you go this'll tell you all you need know, oh and its completely safe by the way