A few more things to make Safari the best in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mwxiao, Jul 18, 2011.

1. mwxiao macrumors regular

Safari in Lion is, uhhh, snappier. But there are a few little things that just annoy the heck out of me.

1. Address/Search bar: why the heck do we still need a separate search bar? And if you type an address in the address bar, it only suggests from history or maybe bookmark. It doesn't suggest from web. This is dumbest address bar ever.

2. Right click a link: open in tab is the second option. Open in a new window is the first option. Why? All the other browsers use "Open in tab" as the first option.

3. Can't recognize a link. If you select "www.apple.com" in a page and right click, there is no option to "go to this link". Too dumb.

4. If you select some text and right click to "Google this". It googles in the same window, not in a new tab/window.

They are all little things but just annoy me.

2. dumb macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Triple click to select URL bar is the biggest annoyance for me.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Just click the favicon.

4. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

OR cmd+L.

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

why do yu need that option? What else would it do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Overall I'm quite happy with Safari.

Yet that said, I greatly prefer Google Chrome.

Especially with the rapid rate that improvements are being delivered. The rate at which new extensions, themes and apps are arriving, gives one a lot to choose from and makes the web experience quite nice.

In addition, the option of running Canary side by side with an existing install of Chrome is the icing on the cake. On my Macs, all of which are maxed out with ram, and fast SSD's, I find Chrome a veritable rocket that I enjoy immensely.

7. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I actually like it just the way it is in Lion especially in full screen. Is it me or does Safari have some new spunk?

Wish Safari extension development would take off like in firefox though. I really miss some of those plug-ins and have to fire up FF just to use 'em. :(

8. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Yes, there is. "Open URL."

9. HelloPanda macrumors member

Can't wait to try Safari in Lion. For now, however, I'm going to stick with Chrome. I've been using Chrome since day 1, back in September 2008. Even back then, with all the compatiblity issues, I stuck with Chrome for its Speed, spacious feel and of course, the omnibar.

10. dumb macrumors member

I mostly use cmd+ L but sometimes I'm in a click happy mood. Also, favicon is too small. I usually end up doing Cmd+ Tab and later cmd + w.

To add a few to the OP's list, some silly stuffs:

No favicon to bookmark and a better bookmark manager ?
    Search as you type ( one of the reason I stick with firefox).
    Twist Gesture to switch Tabs (again Fx Only)
    about:config

11. ihonda macrumors 68000

how the freak do you get safari to open to google.com after closing it, or hell even topsides?!?! I'm sick of it reopening all my previous tabs and i don't want to turn it off under system prefs bc that closes all windows restore sessions