A Few Problems: Please Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macdude2010, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Macdude2010, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

Macdude2010 macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Hello,
    So 2 weeks ago I got my 64GB Black 4S replaced because of a dead pixel. They one they gave me had huge scratches on the sides, would not make calls 80% of the time, the vibrate buzz and a piece of dust under the screen (did not notice till I got home. So I go to a different store in a different city (was out of town) about a week later, they gave me another replacement and I tested it out and was on my way. At first this one was perfect, and the iPhone amazement came back. The next day is when trouble started, first the vibration motor had been able to get itself loose in its housing and is making that rattling noise every time it goes off, at that point I was going to live with it because so many other ones had it too. So about a week later (last weekend) my few month old screen protector was about ready to call it quits after being on my phone since day 1 (almost 4 months ago). So I went into an almost dust free environment with a lot of light, as soon as I did that I saw 3 groups of hairline scratches, the first one was about a centimeter long, the second one was made up of 2 or 3 1cm scratches in one place, and the last one was made up of 6 or 7 of 1 or 2cm scratches. These could not have been caused by me because there had always been a protector installed (literally did it the minute I got the replacement) That is when I started to get a little annoyed, but then today, I got a text notification when i was browsing safari and the top LED's from the backlight were visible and making about 6 brighter spots on the top of the screen. I tested this on a white background to make sure I wasn't going crazy, but sure enough, they were still there and pretty clear at an angle. But the last and probably the most abnormal one is when I was watching a dark video on YouTube, something shiny caught my eye, i checked it out and it is some light leaking out of of a gap in-between the front glass and the plastic rim (or whatever its made of).

This are all the problems I have come across in my replacement iPhone I received. Is this normal for these replacements or have I just been really unlucky getting 2 defective replacements in a row, I also am guessing I am not being OCD here but these are real defects that qualify for a replacement. It just really bugs me that I paid over $500 (on contract, $950 off) for a top of the line phone and I even purchased the extra AppleCare+, just to receive defective replacements. Also, if I describe what is going on to AppleCare on the phone, has anyone successfully gotten a brand new in box replacement after having several defective refurbished ones (I know this one is a refurb because of the quality of it and also it has a very uncommon serial number I have only seen in replacement ones) I really don't care if it is new or a refurb as long as it is in pristine condition and is defect free. Also I noticed my AppleCare+ still hasn't transferred over from my other phone. Thank You to anyones help that responds.

Attached Files:

2. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Yes you are being OCD
    No you will not get a new boxed iPhone as a replacement.
    Serial number doesn't mean squat when it comes to being a refurb or not.

Some of the "issues" you claim to have could of been seen before you left the store. Your fault you didn't catch them. Go back to apple and see if they'll replace it.... AGAIN. However, how will you prove you didn't cause these issues with a drop or other cause?

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You're probably not going to get an iPhone without any backlighting hotspots. Those bright spots are the LEDs themselves.

There are pretty much two types of iPhone users: the type who get an iPhone and, barring an occasional serious defect, will stick with that iPhone until it's time to get a new one; and the type who go through 6 or 7 exchanges, stare at their phone for hours and hours, and freak with each teeny tiny defect they find, demanding ANOTHER replacement.

Yes, these phones cost a lot of money. But they're going to go through wear and tear anyway. Even putting a case on your phone introduces the threat of damage: a couple grains of dirt rubbing between your case and the phone can give you some pretty nice scratches.

So, I think you need to take your phone's imperfections and ask yourself: is it worth obsessing over? Does it affect the functionality of the phone? Does it actually keep me from using my device, and not just because I'm obsessing over it?

If not, then it's probably not worth going back and risking getting another refurb with a whole new set of imperfections for you to obsess over.

If this is not acceptable, then I would suggest that maybe your $700 might be better spent on something you can put in a glass case, on a velvet lined pedestal, and never, ever touch, while going and getting a free iPhone 3GS that you don't have to care so much about if it gets dinged around.

Oh yeah, and before I forget:

So basically, you re-used a screen protector on your first 4S, the first replacement and the second replacement, and now are saying there's NO WAY you could've scratched the screen with it?

Sorry, but there's no way to tell for sure if those scratches were there before you received it, or if your grody, twice re-used screen protector caused them. Every screen protector I've seen sold is pretty much single-use. Some even offer lifetime replacement for whenever your phone has to get exchanged.

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Unfortunately that is the way the vibrate motor is on the 4S. It didn't loosen up, it's just the motor itself.

From what I've seen about 1 of every 5 iPhones won't have the vibrate rattle.

6. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I was going to live with the vibrate buz, then the other problems showed up, I think the other things are real and uncommon defects

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I do not qualify the screen backlight bleeding a defect. My iPad does that, so does my MBA and my old MBP. That's just the nature of LED lighting. Sometimes it's noticeable and sometimes it's not.

8. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

I'm not talking about that backlight bleeding for the screen (my iPad, MBP and cinema display have that and it's not the same issue), there is a gap in between the glass and the plastic bezel, letting light come out (very noticeable), but not near the screen, it's between the glass and the plastic rim around the phone (you can see it in the fully sized picture) , I googled it and it seems like a very uncommon defect for the 4 and the 4S but was very common for the 3G when it first came out

9. vincent.m macrumors member

its an expensive phone, it should be perfect. As of right now there is no such thing as a refurbished 4S because they are so new. The one you get from the black box is as new as one from a white box. Take it back in. 99% of phones are perfect, you just have really bad luck.

10. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Unfortunatly I know its a refurb, i checked the serial number and it said refurb, and also both of my replacements have had cosmetic defects, showing it was used, so there are refurbs and they are different then white boxed ones

Probably calling Apple today

11. vincent.m macrumors member

Sorry mate, your wrong. Even if your country does have 4S refurbs now, Apple refurbs have never been used by anybody.

12. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

No, you are wrong, both of my phones have had cosmetic damage, proving its a refurb, also the genius and a serial number tool said it was too, and apple warranty says they can use refurbs

13. miragebg macrumors 6502a

I have seen new phones with cosmetic defects straight out of the sealed box- this doesn't mean they were refurbs, but just low quality manufactured process.
    I am really starting to feel pity about you- you have so strong OCD, that you will never find a good unit. As I told you before- FORGET about iPhone.

14. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Yes, I know that, but I know these ones are refurbs, especially because of the defects, but I am sure that the picture I attached is completely normal (this was my replacement phone and those scratches were all over the antenna band) :rolleyes:

Yes, I know I have OCD and its not easy to live with. But, I have no idea why you think it is perfectly fine to point it out and make such a big deal about my posts, when you have even stronger OCD, you even admitted it in one of your posts. Another thing to prove my point is that you went through 13 iPhone replacements(all brand new), just to find the absolute perfect one, (which you still didn't find, but you got pretty close), and even still, you made posts exactly like mine to ask if it really was an issue, and I do the same thing and you respond like the way you have been. I would never imagine doing that. EVER. and you are telling me that I have a strong OCD, and in one post, you even told me to sell my phone and go to a different platform, I think you should have taken your own advice a long time ago, especially because of all the replacements you have gotten. 13 replacements vs. 3, I don't see why you think I have stronger OCD then you.

As I am an Apple App Developer, I cannot give up the iPhone, so these posts make no sense to me, that would be like me getting rid of my business, and my hobby. So don't even suggest that.

Attached Files:

15. miragebg macrumors 6502a

After 12 replacements, which were around 85% with call issues ( echo, static noise, no sound) I finally realized that there is no point to bother because of cosmetic issues- now I have several stuck pixels, even sometime no sound on outgoing calls- so I have to switch to speaker and then reverse back to earpiece, have scratch on the metal band...and so what? It is just a phone, it is not the end of the world if any small flaw is there! There are so many more important things in life than sitting and searching for flaws on some damned object.. Come on, Man- wake up!
    You had a great device with some stupid pixel on it- one small stupid pixel got you in trouble to go through replacements and finally to end with so much worse device up! Because of one pixel! Big deal! I have three! I just don't look for them anymore and of course don't see them in this case! Now you have to fight with the word "refurb" and it was so much easier just to swallow this damned pixel...

16. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Well it is my phone and I intend on sending it back for a brand new white box replacement, and my original had a DEAD pixel, not a stuck on (but It did have a stuck one), there also was very uneven backlight and static on calls, so it was far from perfect, so in my eyes, It was worth it to exchange, so I'll update when I get the details about when I get a brand new white box phone

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Why did you make a thread on this? Sounds like you were decided before you even started the thread that you wanted to return the phone for a replacement. :confused:

18. miragebg, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

miragebg macrumors 6502a

Yes, go for a new white box- just to bring up more flaws and problems here...

19. Macdude2010 thread starter macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

How about you just ignore me and move on?

20. miragebg macrumors 6502a

It is hard to do this as long as every second thread is yours around here..