A few questions about sound output (Moshi Mini-displayport to HDMI Adapter)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, May 6, 2011.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello,

Just bought the Moshi minidisplayport to HDMI adaptor.

I have a few questions:

1. Currently, my Macbook Pro 17" 2010 is connected to a 24" HP LCD monitor via this adapter. The LCD is also connected to my HP Desktop PC via VGA.
    After I changed the sound output setting of my MacBook Pro to HDMI, the sound comes out from the speakers of my external display. However, there is no sound coming out from the two internal speakers of the MBP. Is it possible to use all four speakers (2 from the LCD screen and 2 from the
    laptop) at the same time?

2. Now, I cannot change the volume or choose mute from my computer. Instead, I have to manually make the change using the buttons on the LCD monitor. It is a bit inconvenience. Is there any way to control the volume and mute from the keyboard?

3. I also have two external speakers. In my configuration, how can I use those two speakers as well? It would be good if I could use all six speakers at the same time.

Thanks

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

1. No.

2. I believe that is normal behaviour, don't quote me on that though.

3. You'd have to switch the output to the headphone port instead of through HDMI.

3. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

hi mate,
    The only way i know of to get sound out on your laptop speakers as well as sound out on external too,{wait for it}
    use windows,in the sound config -control panel.can be done.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

So, it depends on the OS? Wonder if any 3rd party utility/freeware can do it. Maybe we ask Apple to include this feature in Mac OS.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

I also found that after I used bootcamp to switched to Windows and returned to Mac OS, sound output changed back to the default setting (i.e. internal speakers from the MBP) automatically. Any way to save my setting?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you truly want to use many speakers, I'm assuming you want to do some kind of surround sound...

You could get a cheapish amp that takes S/PDIF optical input, and plug in the speakers of your choice to that amp.

Macbook pros are capable of outputting sound through an optical cable with the use of a toslkink adapter.

7. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I am pretty sure you could use Soundflower to achieve this.

I suggest against it, though. Assuming the monitor is in close proximity to the laptop, you are going to more likely than not degrade the sound via phase cancellation. It will sound better with a single pair of stereo.

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

USB external sound card

Just received a reply from Moshi. They suggested me to get a usb external sound card. Anybody tried this approach? Any recommended product?