A few questions before switching to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dingdongbubble, Feb 23, 2013.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

So after a lot of frustration with other phones and their lacklustre offerings, I am seriously considering getting an iPhone 5. I honestly hated iOS because it looked stale, the screen were too small for my big thumbs and I was a bit apprehensive about the touch keyboard.

1. Do people with fat thumbs still type quickly without frustration? (I'm coming from a BlackBerry and found the Android keyboard lacking compared with a BB10 keyboard which felt perfect)

2. Is there out of the box dlna support? If not how would I watch a video on my iPhone on a TV without buying an Apple TV and since theres no HDMI out on the iPhone?

3. I would iMessage, whatsapp a LOT, check FB, Twitter, 9GAG once every hour, browse 4-5 websites every hour, check random low powered apps once or twice a day (insignificant), have 5 email accounts syncing and no phone calls. How long can I expect the battery to last on an iPhone 5?

4. Do MP4 video files work without any conversion? Is it possible to transfer video files to and from the iPhone 5 without cables? Does Airdrop work for other files like pictures, music, etc?

5. I usually have several tabs open in the web browser (say 3-5) along with FB, Twitter, Whatsapp open. Would the 1GB RAM be enough or would it lag? An iPad 2 I used to use would slow down when I had a few tabs open.

6. I often make data based voice calls so how is the audio quality of Skype? I found BBM Voice to have extremely good audio quality, much better than regular phone calls and it felt like the person was in the same room. Are audio calls on Skype over wifi with good internet on both ends of excellent quality?

2. Random 995K macrumors 6502

1) I have a fairly large thumb and type accurately on my iPhone and fast.
    2)I think this will do the trick. http://store.apple.com/au/product/MD825ZM/A/lightning-to-vga-adapter
    3) With that usage, I'd say 7 hours.
    4)You can transfer without cables through Dropbox. That is what I sometimes use. Also when at home you can acess you iTunes library and stream whatever.
    5)Lol no, from my experience apple products hardly ever lag. Especially when just on the Internet.
    6)Not sure

3. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

2. Thats too expensive for such a simple functionality and doesnt include audio. I wouldnt use that feature often so I can wait it out until Apple releases dlna functionality or something.

4. Wont that start syncing the huge files to the cloud taking time then start downloading to my phone all over again? I guess cables are still necessary.

4. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

2. You'll need to use an app for DLNA. There are many of them in the App Store. The built in functionality is AirPlay.

4. If the file is already a compatible format for the iPhone, you can use iTunes to sync via WiFi.

5. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

2. Which app do you find is the most reliable and highest quality?

4. Is it possible to use the manual sync option over wifi so you can choose which files transfer over?

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. :)

6. chrisrosemusic1 macrumors 6502a

chrisrosemusic1

4. Yes, you can manually manage music files etc through iTunes

As for previous question regarding Skype - I use it quite often to talk to friends when I'm on a WiFi network and it's beautifully crisp and clear. Love it.

7. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

2. I use personally use AirPlay.

4. As far as I know this works.

8. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could someone try out the manual sync over wifi feature to confirm that it does exist? I know that the regular sync over wifi does exist but I dont want that I want to be able to choose which music, videos etc get transferred over to the iPhone.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

MP4 as they say is just a "container." It depends on the underlying codec used to encode the media. I forget which Apple wants on top of my of my head. If u have lots of MP4 I recommend trying it out with friends to find out. APPLE is the most restrictive as far as what video and audio format it wants.

I do not think you can do manual sync (drag&drop at will) without going through hassles with an iPhone. The iPhone is designed so that you make all your changes in iTunes, including what media you want included/excluded for the sync, then once you are happy with the selections, plug in phone and it will automatically grab what u specified from iTunes. WIFI sync at this point doesn't work reliably.

10. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! :D

I ordered an iPhone 5 from the Apple Online Store so its going to be unlocked even though it cost a hell lot of money. Oh well lets just hope it will be worth it.