A few thoughts on my 4th-gen 64-gig iPod Touch from Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RyanNoah, Sep 12, 2010.

1. RyanNoah macrumors newbie

I was able to get a 64-gig Touch from the Onalaska, Wi Walmart yesterday. Before I continue, I will say I like it overall. But here is a few observations-

First thing I noticed is how bad the screen picks up fingerprints. I assume there is some unseen residue left behind from the sticker label you peel off of the screen. I mean, it left perfect fingerprint marks. I sorta freaked at first, but it breaks up after some handling and cleans easy.

When you press the power button for the first time, it still has the old iTunes logo on the screen that tells you must hook it up to sync. :D

Im not getting this whole "thin" thing Apple has with this device. You can practically see the whole backside of the sync connector when hooked to the Touch.

You actually get 59-gigs of memory.

If you owned previous versions of the Touch, you will quickly notice the difference in the Retina Display. Though its only been 24 hours since I owned it, my 3rd gen 32-gig Touch is slightly brighter than the 4th gen. Only slightly. But the Retina Display makes up for that.

The speaker on the 4th-gen, IMO, is ALOT better than the one found in the last two Touches. Not only is it slightly louder, it has decent clarity for such a small speaker. Background sounds stand out more, like in apps like Epic Citadel.

I synced about 30-gigs of data, and it got pretty hot. In the short time I used it, it tends to get a little warm with certain apps running.

Video cam is nice, photo quality is everything you have been hearing about it.

The home button and volume buttons are sort of difficult to press with one hand.

And finally, my Touch suffers from light leakage from the corner where the volume buttons are and down in the opposite corner. :confused: :( Yeah I can live with it, a case might cover it up, but it is noticeable, even in a lit room when you put your hand over it.

My concern is if it continues to get bigger, I'll have to swap it out when Wal-Mart starts to stock up on them.

2. bobblaine macrumors newbie

I have the same light leak problem too, shouldn't worry about it. The screen is glued to the glass...

Can you do me a favor... make sure your wifi is on, and record a vid in a silent room and then watch it with headphones... can you hear clicking? I think its a software issue.

3. RyanNoah thread starter macrumors newbie

True. My concern is the device is basically glued together, and will have to keep an eye on it with the Touch getting warm with use and the general handling/lugging around it will go through.

I have tested for the clicking issue with wi-fi both on and off, and have not heard this noise. I will post if i do hear it.

4. wootwootman macrumors member

it seems like it only happens when connected to a secured network, so you may wanna try that

5. caribou123 macrumors member

6. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Does anyone know why the iOS software would take up more space on a larger capacity iPod touch? Imagine if the 8 GB iPod touch's software took up 5 gigs! Although from what I've heard, it's actually quite a bit still, like 2.5 gigs or so, maybe?

7. Abscissa macrumors regular

I think it's more so that flash memory doesn't come with all advertised. I read something talking about it, and I don't know where it was. I really can't describe it either. But I'm pretty sure like a 128GB SSD is actually like 120GB.

8. Ralzy macrumors member

This is from marketers calculate storage space as a gb = 1000mb while a computer calculates a gb = 1024mb.

9. Brewstermax macrumors member

The issues is in formatting and how your computer views it. Mostly formatting. This is because when a disk is formatted, it is an exponential thing, where the space needed to assign a format (say HFS+) is less for a 8GB SSD than for a 64GB SSD. This is true for Macs too, with a 40GB HDD only losing, say, 2GB of space, while a 500GB one will lose 20+GB.

However, the metric vs. customary GB view changes too. Like, Snow Leopard uses the 1000MB = 1GB system wide, which gives my HDD 250.6GB, but apps like iMovie still use 1024MB = 1GB, which makes my HDD around 232GB. It's a conglomeration of things, but it's normal, and the SSD in there is actually marked for 64GB, its all about how the device/computer makes it work.

10. firelol222 macrumors newbie

lucky my Walmart still don't have the ipod touch 4th gen yet:(

11. RyanNoah thread starter macrumors newbie

$396, not including tax.

12. RyanNoah thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried both secured and unsecured. I don't hear any clicking.

13. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

Just FYI, Amazon has them for $383 with no tax or shipping.

14. RyanNoah thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I ended up taking the 64-gig Touch back on Tuesday. Besides the light leaks and screen lifting in one corner, I noticed on Sunday that the accelerometer was all goofed up. It was oversensitive when tilting right, and when I turned it to the left, I had to shake the Touch lightly to get it to move. Tried to restart/reboot, nothing worked.

I opted for a 32-gig, and all I notice is a small light leak by the lower right side towards the headphone jack. No screen lifting, the accelerometer seems accurate, and overall seems to be put together better.

Too bad the 64 gig didn't work out. But this years build quality of the Touch is too suspect to drop $400+ and then count on it to hold up for the next couple of years.