A fictional day in the life of an Apple Watch user

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by eagleglen, Mar 25, 2015.

1. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Although fictional, this account of how a person might use his Apple Watch though out his day was an interesting read. Definitely hightened to my anticipation. Kudos to the author :)

A day in the life of an Apple Watch user

2. Larvas macrumors newbie

Pretty cool, that's what I'm really looking forward - to have something which can slightly replace my phone so that I don't need to look at it constantly.

3. Ries macrumors 68000

Well, it confirmed that I don't have any use for one. Every use case he has is "I don't have to take my phone out, I got this remote for it"

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

1: I wake up and put on my watch.
    2: I get in the shower and check my sports scores.

Really ?

So then we have............

3: I go visit the Apple store and they say it's water damage, I tell them, yes I did use it in the shower against their instructions, so I get out my credit card and pay $349 for a new watch.
    I had to get the cheaper model this time as funds were low after the initial purchase of the now dead stainless steel model I bought a week ago.

:D

5. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I love this, although I don't think he will have as much trouble with battery life that early in the day. Also, why can't you set an alarm on the watch while it is on the charger at night?

6. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Well, that IS the entire point of any smart watch, that and the fitness sensors. Looking at your wrist for 2 seconds is a lot more convenient than pulling out your phone, unlocking it, using it, locking it, putting it back, plus it saves on phone battery life. But also, everything before the guy leaves the house isn't just saving on "taking my phone out", it's doing things in the shower, or at breakfast, when he doesn't have the phone on him at all.

Apparently you missed the fact that the watch is water resistant, able to be submerged up to one meter for up to 30 minutes, and Apple specifically says you can use it in the shower or the rain.

7. Ries macrumors 68000

My phone is unlocked before it is half way out of my pocket. I can read emails alot faster on my phone than on a post stamp. Apple says no showering, it is not water proof.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Nope, I have not missed the IP rating, however, all the talk on these forums, since day one has been saying again and again and again.
    Officially you must not shower with the Apple watch on.
    People who upheld this view, explained here a number of times that water from a shower comes out at force, unlike rain, or water running off the watch.

So, are all the people who said this, now backing down as saying yes, you can officially now take a shower whilst wearing the watch?

Let's clear this up and some very confident posters on these forums were explaining No you cannot shower with one.

9. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Even if you could, I wouldn't. I don't want to chance it regardless. Besides, will I really be checking things on my wrist while in the shower?

10. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Can you provide a link to this statement from Apple about no showering? I mean, Tim Cook tells people he showers with his. Here's a link to Apple's official word on it (very bottom tiny text):

As for your phone being unlocked before halfway out of your pocket, I guess that means you don't have security on.

11. Ries macrumors 68000

http://www.apple.com/watch/health-and-fitness/

*Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant.

http://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/waterrating

You need a "3 ATM" rating for showering.

12. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/03/09/apple-watchs-ipx7-water-resistance-good-for-washing-hands-but-not-for-swimming

How is showering any worse than washing your hands?

13. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Hey!!
    Maybe he takes showers for 40 minutes.... at a depth of 15 ft. =P

14. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

You are misreading that chart, because look at 1ATM - showering is listed as an unsuitable activity. That's why 3ATM lists showering as suitable, because the previous one wasn't. IPX7 does NOT list showering as an unsuitable activity.

Apple specifically mentions washing hands and being in the rain. How exactly is showering creating more pressure than washing your hands or swinging your arms while jogging in the rain?

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I do this all the time by picking the phone up or grabbing it out of my pocket with my thumb over the sensor.

16. noobinator macrumors 601

2 comments.

He sets his alarm for 5:15 then in the shower at 5:17 he comments he has to hurry because his co-worker will be there shortly. Dude needs better time management skills if he has to hurry! :D

Author has way too much time on their hands to write this fictional story.

17. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

Based on this I'm pretty sure the watch is dead by 2pm.

18. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

1. He charges it on the plane.
    2. He doesn't actually use it all that much, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't last throughout the day.

19. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Based on this you didn't read the story on how he charged it twice during the day.

And no, it wouldn't die at 2pm - he doesn't use the watch much. The watch will last ALL DAY if it's used the way described. He's not playing games on his watch - he's just using it for a few seconds here and there throughout the day. He probably used it like 60 minutes in total the whole day. And that's being very generous. Probably less than that.

20. kovey macrumors 6502a

9.44pm: I FaceTime with my wife from my iPhone, which still has over 80% of battery. It’s crazy.
    Yea, fictional *******. It's because you're now glued to your watch instead of your phone. This is just a substitution.

I'm really looking forward to the apple watch, but jesus christ this story makes me not want one, or hate this fictional person at the very least.

Please, stop bringing gadgets into the shower. Try disconnecting for 5 minutes. It won't kill you. If you're using them in the shower, it means you're not showering and are just wasting water. There are hundreds of millions of people suffering from water scarcity. This is why the terrorists hate us.

21. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

I read it, I just happened to miss that I guess.

Nonetheless charging it twice a day. It just seems cumbersome.

We'll see how the reviews are when its actually out.

22. noobinator macrumors 601

If anything, this story has made me like the Apple Watch less than before. He made it seem annoying and cumbersome (not to mention taking away even more of his life).

23. blackbear219 macrumors regular

Even if they officially said you can wear it in the shower, I wouldn't. I don't want soap/shampoo getting all in the creases around the crown and the button. Gross.

24. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Agreed.

Only if I really LOVE something will I charge it every day. If the watch turns out to be so-so, and people keep forgetting to charge it at night, thus can't use it the next day, I expect a bunch of used watches to be put up on eBay/Gazelle/Craig's List, etc.

25. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

This forum is full of people being wrong about everything.

If Tim Cook is going to say he showers with his on, then that's an endorsement of that action. There is no way he is saying that accidentally. He's the frickin' CEO. I will take that "hint" as vastly more authoritative than a million billion dorks on MacRumors Forums denying shower compatibility based on **GARMIN'S** website, of all things.