A FREE WMV to iMovie 09' supported format video converter

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dhanaji, Feb 23, 2010.

1. dhanaji macrumors newbie

Hello, everyone. This my first post on this forum and I'm a Mac newbie. I switched from Windows a month ago.

I need to covert some videos that are in the .WMV format to any(preferably, the best) iMovie 09' supported format. I searched for a mac video converter on google and this forum. All the software that turned up aren't free and the trial versions place watermarks, limit the time and mute the audio, etc...:mad:

So can some one please point me to a good FREE one that works:D.

Thanks in advance!

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

3. dhanaji thread starter macrumors newbie

Installed both the applicatons. I can now play WMV files in quicktime. But unfortunately, the apps don't solve my problem(editing/importing wmv videos into iMovie 09'). I had no problem playing WMV files (I have VLC for that. And as far as I know, VLC doesn't covert videos) Thanks anyway....

I don't want to modify my iMovie to accept WMV files. I just need a free simple app that will covert them into a iMovie 09' supported format... I have just 3 wmw files the need converting. Can any one help me?

4. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

iSquint is not available from the original site anymore, but there are still places where you can download it - works like a charm :)

5. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Could also do a search for 'MPEG Streamclip' which will convert pretty much anything into iMovie compatible video types. Free too ;)

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'll second iSquint, but it will only convert to .mp4 files using the H264 or MPEG-4 codec, which iMovie might not like to import.

So after using iSquint, you have to use MPEG Streamclip to convert the .mp4 file to a .mov file using the DV or Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC - recommended on the newer versions of iMovie).

MPEG Streamclip does not load .wmv files, even with Flip4Mac and Perian installed.

7. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Interesting then since i've just converted a .wmv to a .mov using it!

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's strange.

I tried it an hour ago, and MPEG Streamclip did not find any audio or video in the file.

Do you know what codec your .wmv files use? You can check with Movist and the Control Panel in there, which can be opened by CMD+OPTION/ALT+C.

Mine use Windows Media Video/Audio 9, and VLC and Movist are able to play it. But even QuickTime wasn't. Hmm.

9. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Windows Media Video 9 Standard for the Video, just has a question mark for the audio lol. If that means anything to you.

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you tell me what accessory software you have installed to play video files?

I mean Perian or Flip4Mac and such applications.

11. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

MPEG Streamclip

Perian
    Flip4Mac

Are the only things I have that I could think would affect it.

Other video programs I have are Quicktime Pro and a free kinda crappy .swf and FLV player.

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks for posting your information and it's really, really strange, as I have the same software and can't play .wmv files outside of Movist or VLC.

13. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

It is strange yeah, its always done it, just assumed it was a natural part of its program!