A Full Declaration of War on the Islamic State

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Merkava_4, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

It's time to go to war with these people. I watched the Vice News Video and it was depressing seeing how the Islamic State (formerly ISIS) oppresses the people in Syria with their insane strict Sharia law. I'd like to see how you hardcore Liberals and Atheists would adjust to that! I tell you what: if they come over here and try to take over this country, I'm not going to cooperate with these lunatics; they'll have to kill me.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

3. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of course you disagree; you didn't watch the video.

4. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Even to gain a laugh at your opinion, I'm not going to sit through 42 minutes that ****** They are welcome to take a shot at you.

KGB:cool:

5. chown33 macrumors 604

That's a pretty big "if".

Just sayin'.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And I don't plan to.

What do you expect to happen if we send troops into Syria and Iraq?

How is another layer of militarized force and violence going to solve the problem?

7. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think you people are taking this seriously enough. This is the worse threat to our free way of life since the Nazis walked the earth. Those fanatics are not going to stop and just Syria and Iraq, they want to take over the whole world and make it one big Islamic State. If you don't believe me, watch the video.

8. pdjudd macrumors 601

The Nazis in their peak were able to take over whole countries and fight wars over massive areas of land, sea, and air. They were a massive threat. Of course I find comparing anything to the Nazi’s isn’t exactly a good idea

ISIS is a small terrorist group in comparison. They talk big. All terrible groups talk big. They need to be dealt with, but their level of threat isn’t anywhere near as bad as other threats out there that can be worse.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Heard that one a few too many times.

10. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

And for all the Nazis were able to accomplish they still never made it over here.

What makes you think ISIS would? A few random terrorist attacks? Maybe. But a full out air, land, and sea attack? They wouldn't stand a chance.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The fact that they are wasting recruited westerners from the US, UK, and etc on domestic battle, makes me think that they are much more interested in domestic control than terrorism against us. At least that's how things seem at the moment.

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Bombing them? Sure. Boots on the ground? HELL NO! Not again...

13. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Uh, no. Not even close.

ISIL is nothing of a threat anywhere outside of a fairly small, specific area of Iraq and Syria. And of limited danger there.

Do you really think ISIL's brand of lunacy has traction in, for example, Turkey or Tunisia - let alone France or the UK?

Over-reaction from poorly educated Westerners is exactly what those people want. Don't give it to them. And let the Iraqis solve the problem on their own.

The United States has gone to war war in Iraq twice in the last couple of decades, without solving the problems there.

What makes you think a third time will be any different?

14. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

15. zin macrumors 6502

I'm a 'hardcore liberal' and I agree with you.

For the people citing the Iraq War last decade, just remember that there was no clear objective for that mission. That invasion was ordered based on false information and the entire thing was a shambles. First it was WMD, then it was Saddam Hussein, then it was 'stability', and finally Bush admitting that the objective was 'regime change'.

Compare it to this situation. There is one enemy. They have absolutely no intention of negotiating. They intend to continue their advance into sovereign territory, torturing and murdering innocent people who get in their way, all with blatant disregard for international law and conventions.

American airstrikes have failed in their objectives. ISIS are destabilising the already-fragile Middle East and have stated they have no intention of stopping with that region. It is time to remove this threat to the international community by use of military force on the ground, in the air, and from the oceans.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Now that was a video worth watching.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hilarious. Catholics want the entire world to be catholic. Evangelicals, Baptists, Mormons... everyone wants the world to be their religion.

Do you think Muslims/Islamic religions don't want the same? However, since this is the Islam state we are talking about they must surely be terrorists right?:rolleyes:

18. zin macrumors 6502

Well they have sort of systematically murdered and tortured thousands of innocent people, and threatened and invaded their way into territory that is not theirs.

Does that not constitute terroristic activity?

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No. It constitutes civil war.

20. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Why does it have to be the US? Why does it always have to be the US? The OP is arguing that if we don't, somehow ISIS will make there way over to the US and take us over.

That is never going to happen. Ever.

We've wasted lives, time, and a whole bunch of money over the last 2 decades and here we are again. Maybe it's time for some other country to take a shot.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I somewhat agree with Zin on this. ISIS is hardly a direct threat to us right now, but they are a supremely violent, destabilizing agent in an already precariously balanced region of the world. If left to run amok, they could cause us tons of potential problems 10-20 years down the road.

That said, I don't believe another full scale Iraq style invasion is the way to go. We don't need another shock and awe campaign. We don't need to flex our military might in front of the world. It's ineffective against an enemy that doesn't define it's presence with fronts and positions, and ultimately does nothing to deter future action against us.

We have our highly trained special forces and the CIA for just such an enemy. It's time we used them to full effect. It won't look good on TV, and it won't net us any big victories we can show off to the world, but they will get the job done.

edit: I should add that we are more or less cleaning up a problem we created ourselves. Meddling in the middle east tends to do that. This is why we need to be subtle, and try not to stir up the hornets nest any more than we already have.

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

we can't fix it. we caused it for the most part. the middle east has to learn to solve it's own problems or it is always going to be a victim of terrorists.

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

So the Crusades (yes even if its long ago, it still counts) never happened then?

24. zin macrumors 6502

Well, according to the dictionary:

In addition, the United States Government defines international terrorism:

This is not a civil war. This conflict spans across multiple countries that have one common enemy. Perhaps it was an internal conflict in the early days, but as soon as IS decided to make it an international issue it ceased being a civil war.

They have threatened and tried to coerce other countries to submit to their demands. They have tried to coerce innocent civilians to join their group or face death. They even tried to coerce the U.S. by murdering its journalists. Their outcome is purely political; they want a to establish a theocratic state that they, and only they, control at the expense of innocent people. This is terrorism.

I never said I only wanted the U.S. to intervene. However, there are only a handful of countries with the military resources to intervene in something like this. I would support a coalition with the U.S. and other countries.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

First off, you may want to look at our own history when it comes to threatening free ways of life. Cases in point: Louisiana Purchase, Andrew Jackson, Trail of Tears, and Christopher Columbus. And you are worried about this small fanatical sect of a religion that is basically a franchise of Al Qaeda.

No offense to our fellow poms in the forum, but the last group to cross the sea and attack us was the Japanese in 1941, and you can call that 'barely', as Hawaii wasn't a state back then, followed by the British in 1812. that's 73 years, followed by 202. So unless IS somehow spends the time and money to build/buy a fleet of ships or fighter jets, as well as spend the time learning how to use them, we sure as hell don't have to worry about them coming across the sea or air and attacking us.

Keep in mind that those involved in 9/11 were already here, and really do not constitute an invading force as you are making this out to be. In fact, while IS is serious, what you are ranting about is mainly FUD.

BL.